Our Velveteen Lops settling in - pictures

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhWRabbitry

Reaction score
We are SO enjoying our first week with our Velveteen Lops!
I just wanted to share a couple photo collages I did for our website.
They are loved - if you can't tell! :love: :love:

Dame%2BMarie%2Bfirst%2Btime%2Bin%2Bexercise%2Bpen.jpg

Jeremie%2Bgetting%2Bsome%2Bcuddle%2Btime.jpg

They are such good rabbits! On a side note the Otter colors are really starting to grow on me. When I first got started in rabbits I didn't care for them at all but now I think I'm going to have to have one.

alforddm":1ixk92tm said:
They are such good rabbits! On a side note the Otter colors are really starting to grow on me. When I first got started in rabbits I didn't care for them at all but now I think I'm going to have to have one.

Glad to hear there are other that like the otter colors!
They are both so sweet. The first 3 days the orange doe was a little timid and would go towards the back of the cage when we'd go to pet her. Now she has realized how great petting, walking on a leash, and an exercise pen are. Yesterday she came to her door every time and was trying to open the door! She has become very playful too. It's fun to see her personality coming through. The little guy is calm, quiet, and affectionate.

Omg, you are killing me! The transporter bringing mine is behind schedule so they're coming tomorrow morning instead of tonight :( I can't wait!

When are you planning to try for their first litter? We should definitely try to sync that up and compare the baby cousins!

Pepperoni":3r36fo8u said:
Omg, you are killing me! The transporter bringing mine is behind schedule so they're coming tomorrow morning instead of tonight :( I can't wait!

When are you planning to try for their first litter? We should definitely try to sync that up and compare the baby cousins!

I'm sorry I'm torturing you!!!

I'm was thinking we'd try to breed them when the doe is right around 6 months which would be towards the end of October. Yes, we'll have to keep each other posted as time goes by. :)
Sorry for your wait! I look forward to hearing an update and seeing pictures on here. <br /><br /> __________ Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:43 pm __________ <br /><br /> Just wanted to check in with you - Have your Velveteen's arrived? :popcorn:

I am new to them so take this with a grain of salt but from what I have read: Yes, originally they came from English Lops & Mini Rex and you can't get a "Velveteen Lop" from a first-generation cross using a Mini Rex and an English Lop but multiple generations established what is now known as the Velveteen Lop.

Yep. We all got home last night.

2qlsup0.jpg

I had a lot of difficulty with the transporter, so we decided that instead of calling the black doe "Liberty" we have named her "Patience" :lol:

Just wanted to post some updated photos of our two V-Lops. :)
Dame Marie is now 3 months and Jeremie is 10 weeks old.
SO glad we got them!

3 months old.jpg
10 weeks old 2.jpg
10 weeks old in fence.jpg
Pepperoni, how are you Velveteens doing??

Ours are doing fantastic as well. They are just too cute and sweet. It's fun to watch their individual personalities blossom. Little boy is still the lover. My daughter decided that she didn't like his name and now refers to him as "Longy Ears" :lol: Patience is the inquisitive and adventurous one. I had to put her in the bottom cage of the stack because she takes a flying leap out the door as soon as you open it. She's always getting into mischief. The other day she tried to drag an empty kleenex box I gave her to play with under the couch. And then there's Bonny. She DOES NOT like to be picked up or messed with much. She's super chill once she's out of her cage though and will come over for scratches on her own.

How are yours doing on weight and ear length? I don't think Bonny is going to make it to 15", she's about 18 weeks old now and has been sitting right above 14" the past couple of weeks. Sam a.k.a. Longy Ears was 12.5" and Patience was 13" last weekend. I'm not sure that I'm measuring correctly though. I know that you're supposed to stretch them to their greatest possible length, but I'm afraid of hurting them :(

BTW, I don't know if you're active on facebook but I did start a new group called "Velveteen Lops Midwest" You're in Indiana, right? You should join :)

Pepperoni":3avhz2vb said:
Ours are doing fantastic as well. They are just too cute and sweet. It's fun to watch their individual personalities blossom. Little boy is still the lover. My daughter decided that she didn't like his name and now refers to him as "Longy Ears" :lol: Patience is the inquisitive and adventurous one. I had to put her in the bottom cage of the stack because she takes a flying leap out the door as soon as you open it. She's always getting into mischief. The other day she tried to drag an empty kleenex box I gave her to play with under the couch.
Their personalities sound just like their siblings for sure!! Really something how much your descriptions would match the personality of the sibling of each one that I purchased! Jeremie is calm & affectionate and Dame Marie is active and curious!

How are yours doing on weight and ear length? I don't think Bonny is going to make it to 15", she's about 18 weeks old now and has been sitting right above 14" the past couple of weeks. Sam a.k.a. Longy Ears was 12.5" and Patience was 13" last weekend. I'm not sure that I'm measuring correctly though. I know that you're supposed to stretch them to their greatest possible length, but I'm afraid of hurting them :(
Weight wise Jeremie (the blue otter) weighed in today at just a hair below 3 pounds. It looks like his ear length is 12". Dame Marie weighs 4 lbs 8 oz and her ear length is right around 13".

BTW, I don't know if you're active on facebook but I did start a new group called "Velveteen Lops Midwest" You're in Indiana, right? You should join :)
I appreciate you sharing this. I'm not on facebook anymore. IF I was though I'd definitely join.
Yes, I'm in Indiana.

Thanks for the updates. So fun to hear! :) <br /><br /> __________ Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:09 pm __________ <br /><br /> A little update on the Velveteens. Jeremie has totally won my heart. He continues to be the sweetest, most calm rabbit. We took him to an assisted living/nursing home facility that I lead a Bible Study at each week and he did wonderfully! He definitely looks to be a good therapy animal. We are on the calendar to bring rabbits back in a month. It was such a blessing to see the delight the rabbits brought to the people. One man turns 102 this week and it was the first time he'd held a rabbit.
Jeremie is 3 months old now.

3 months old August 2015.jpg
3 months old August 2015 side.jpg

How sweet! My boyfriend is the HR director at an assisted living/nursing home. I bet his residents would like to see some bunnies too. But if I give him that idea he's likely to just bring Bonny to work with him all the time. He's totally smitten with her and she with him. I keep saying she's trying to steal my man. :lol:

Back