Our new rabbit barn in the making

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmfarm

Reaction score
I have been hounding my husband for years to make me something better to keep the rabbits in. So I finally convinced him that would could keep the costs low and we started to work. First thing I did was start looking on CL daily for used lumber. We managed to find some nice stuff from 2 different places. I also had come up with the idea to use used billboard tarps for the outside and roof. So we have put most of it together and I was finally able to get the tarps (the were out before and had more today). I got 5 that are 14X48 (we have some other projects that we will use some for). They only cost $20 each. Other than that we only had to buy some screws and I think they were $17 a box and we used one whole box and a few from the next. So the barn will be 15X20. We even got some nice free windows that we will put in to help with ventilation. My husband is determined to finish this weekend so hopefully we can get it done. I will post some pics in a sec of how far we have come so far.

Pictures?
hello-there-im-still-waiting.gif

Thank you so much Homer! You deserve a hug and a kiss! :group-hug2: :kiss: I will keep trying to figure out how to post pictures. I wish this site would automatically resize the pictures for you. I would have liked to get more pictures of us making it, but time didn't allow it. There is one pic before it was built and the others are the finished product. We still need to tack down the edges and we will be putting either tin sheets or plywood around the bottom to keep stuff from digging under.

-- Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:07 am --

Wheels":xp5qcd9q said:
I love the billboard tarps- looks like they sent you some cheeky ones too LOL! What a great way to reuse some nice weather poof materials - and how did you find/get them?

That one was an ad for Deep Eddy Vodka. It has a girl in a bikini on it. <br /><br /> -- Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:18 am -- <br /><br />
Wheels":xp5qcd9q said:
I love the billboard tarps- looks like they sent you some cheeky ones too LOL! What a great way to reuse some nice weather poof materials - and how did you find/get them?

I just called up one of the companies that owns the billboards. They sell them for $20 each. The other company (Lamar) said they no long give them out because they are an inter nation company and someone misused them in the past, so you can only get them from them if you are a non-profit and doing a community project.

Phacelia":cym6gd5j said:
I love it! :p

Hmm, I wonder if you could get paid for advertising too? :hmm:

:D I couldn't, we live out in the middle of nowhere and no one will ever see it. I did get some more pictures. We now have a door and the corner sides are trimmed back. I think if I try using my other computer it will be easier to post pics.

cmfarm":1suircgb said:
Phacelia":1suircgb said:

:D I couldn't, we live out in the middle of nowhere and no one will ever see it. I did get some more pictures. We now have a door and the corner sides are trimmed back. I think if I try using my other computer it will be easier to post pics.

CMFarm, looks great! My only suggestion would be to raise the tarp a couple of feet on the bottom to allow for ventilation. It will prevent ammonia build up in the barn.

OneAcreFarm":32tzwy50 said:
cmfarm":32tzwy50 said:
Phacelia":32tzwy50 said:

CMFarm, looks great! My only suggestion would be to raise the tarp a couple of feet on the bottom to allow for ventilation. It will prevent ammonia build up in the barn.

It has 2 windows for ventilation. If I did that then I would have to worry about wild animals getting in.

Homer":3iehxvgs said:
Did you run power to run a fan or lights for those night time visits?

It is about 10-15 feet from our house and there is a power outlet on the side of the house. All we have to do is run a short extension cord and have electricity.

Latest posts

Back