Our first baby buns/questions

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom VH

Reaction score
Hello All, 28th day we gave Patsy a nest box and moved her into my heated shop, 31st day she kindled, nine healthy squirming pink twinkies, we count and check them once a day. I have three ?s, How often does she nurse them? they are healthy and she goes through a lot of food and water but I haven't seen her in the nest since the 31st. They sure stink, is that normal? does nest material need to be changed? and when is it safe to move them back to the barn? I spray cabinets and make a lot of noise and dust out there.
Thanks Tom

Rabbits only nurse 1-2 times a day and are not in the nest box otherwise. The kits and the hair the doe pulled keeps them warm. Nestboxes do periodically need cleaned before kits are weaned. Personally I haven't figured out the details yet so I can't advise you on that. You can extend the time before cleaning a lot by using shavings or even better pine pellets under the straw (also better than hay). When you can move them depends on the temp difference between the shop and the barn. If you wanted them outside you really shouldn't have put them in heat. Depending on your weather and how warm you keep the shop you may have to keep them there past weaning age which would require multiple cages. Here in Iowa if you bring it in during winter you are keeping it in until spring because the weather is far too cold for them to adjust back to it.

Tom,
did you happen to place the nestbox in the rabbits potty corner?
If so then move it to an opposite corner.
Rabbits only feed the kits once per day.
Usually in early am or near dusk. Feeding takes all of five minutes or less
you may never see it happen. If you look at the kits and they have round belly's
looking much like they swallowed a Ping-pong ball, they have been fed.
She will go through a lot more feed since she is eating for perhaps eight or more.
You may want to change some if not all of the nesting material.
Save any unsoiled fur, change the hay and if necessary change the nestbox.
If needed you can pluck more fur from the Dams sides and rump for replacement.
A doe will easily go through one-hundred pounds are more of feed from kindling to weaning.
Once the kits are furred out they can go outside.
Ottersatin :eek:ldtimer:

once a day, maybe more, and when you are there is when she feeds
if they aren't dead, and have fat tummies, and clean butts, they are healthy

if they stink (and not smell which they can, a little) check the nest box for dead kits or uneaten afterbirth
if she is using the nest box as a potty box?
if she is you need to change the litter/bedding, then pull the box, put it on top of the cage and only put it in when you can watch
as for the environment, yeah it's best to have them in a quite area

Thank you so much for the responses, she kindled the first three randomly about the 36x30 pen, I really didn't want that to happen in the single digit barn. All nine are chubby little bunnies, so she's feeding (I figured she was but was just curious about that. I have an extra nest box, so I'll put bedding in that and save the clean fur blanket they have now and then clean the nesting again at ten days, before eye opening. Once they really fur out, I'll return them all to the barn but we have electric out there so I can easily give them heat and gradually reduce and acclimate them.
I so appreciate the feed back.

uhh
most rabbits have their eyes open between 5 and 7 days, and will be out of the nest box and trying solid food by 10

We always change the nestbox out on day 9. The kits will open their eyes between days 10 and 12. Changing it out will help prevent nestbox eye.

Congrats on the kits!

Latest posts

Back