Our Feed Mill Burned Down Last Night

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truckinguy

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
News is just trickling in that Alliston Feed Service burned down last night. Unofficial word is that some kid set a fire in the dumpster behind the building and it spread into the mill. It was owned and staffed by a great group of local people and had a history going back to the late 1800's. I was there yesterday afternoon picking up a load of feed but I guess I'll have to find another place to get feed for the foreseeable future. Sad day for everyone in the area made more so since it was totally avoidable. I hope they can come back from this tragedy and rebuild again. I'll definitely be back as a customer.

So sorry to hear about this, Truckinguy. I've never understood vandalism and arson . . . Such senseless crimes. Hope the owner's insurance will cover the financial loss, but nothing can repair the hole something like this makes in a small community. Things like this just make me so angry.

Ours went through this a year ago, and they are back bigger and better. He still talks about the headaches and paperwork.

Apparently the kid that set the fire has been setting fires in some Portapotties in town. I"m sure the town will pull together for them and I hope they rebuild. It's a great group of people and I enjoyed dealing with them. I've been getting texts and Facebook messages from friends in town and the area, it's going to have a huge local impact. Fortunately it happened at night and no one was hurt.

Did they catch the kid? Or are they just linking this fire to the others? It sounds like his crimes are escalating. I hope they can stop him before he sets fire to a house where people are sleeping.

:good-luck: :good-luck: I hope they catch whoever did this. I also hope your local business comes back. I don't know what I'd do if the feed store in town ever burned down. My rabbits favor the food there over anywhere else and I do too! It has the best stuff in it from what I've seen locally. :clover:

The news reports say that the fire is under investigation by the OPP. However, according to social media, the kid was in custody early this morning during or shortly after the fire. They have opened for business in a temporary location in town around the corner from the original property so I'm guessing that there has been a lot of local assistance providing the temporary location. Hopefully they can rebuild.

Our church was the target for arson and vandalism this past week :( Thankfully it was contained well enough (yay fire retardant materials)... I hope the community support is enough to keep them going until they are rebuilt!

When I was small, we actually had the mill burn in my town. A big Evergreen Mills location, right on the railroad tracks and everything. It was found accidental, the dust in those kinds of places is so flammable and settles on everything. It burned for like two or three weeks or so. It wasn't close to any other buildings and they weren't worried about it spreading, it just smoldered and rekindled after they put out the flames. So they let it burn itself out, I think. I was 8. I was just like "oooh fire."

Latest posts

Back