Ouch, what happened? (yucky photo)

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cattle Cait

Reaction score
A friend of mine on Facebook asked me to post this for them.

Does anyone know what happened to this little guy, and what can we do to fix him up? Will he be okay? I think it looks like an abscess that popped, but I can't be sure.
Thanks.

Attachments

• yucky.jpg
    yucky.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 1,194
Depends on WHY it happened

IF that is a bite, where hair was removed (fresh) and there is no signs of infection, then first aid cleaning and ABX ointment should do fine.
BUT that looks old, at least 3 days old, is moist and is either completely through the skin layers (hopefully) and showing some fat, OR it's starting to show signs of deep infection,

as long as the rabbit is kept by itself, doesn't develop an abscess, and it's cleaned daily, and dressed (ointments and bandaids) 2x a day it should be fine. With the loose skin, start above the wound, tent the skin and feel underneath to see if there is a pocket of pus. Alot of wound management is knowing what can go wrong, and HOW the wound happened. That could be flystrike for all I know. (wrong season)<br /><br />__________ Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:29 am __________<br /><br />a popped abscess usually looks like a hole or dead (black) spot on top of a lump, or a gaping hole over a void (empty abscess) I that would look more like an infected wound, most of the time the skin is intact except for the head.

Not sure how that happened. I would thoroughly clean it with diluted betadine (so it looks about like weak tea) or chlorhexadine and a syringe. Keep the rabbit by itself. Double check the cage for dangers. You can continue to rinse daily to help stop infection but watch for excessive drying because it will slow healing and lead to scar tissue. Don't use antibiotic creams in an area the animal can reach without talking to a vet since many are toxic if ingested.

keep it clean. should be healed up within the week.

I know that you aren't supposed to use it...but on the two animals I had it happen to I used tea tree oil. Yes... I know toxic to rabbits if over-applied or ingested...BUT it keeps flies away like a charm and that's what I needed for those two.

From experience in seeing it happen and the after-affects ... a bite wound.

Back