Other than Standard Cal varieties

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OneAcreFarm

Reaction score
Ok, so I know that only the Black variety of Cal is accepted here in the US. I have a line of rabbits that produce not only black but blue, chocolate and lilac Cals. Out of those various colors, I kept a Chocolate Cal doe, Mocha Latte. her first litter with a sibling from a different litter has produced four of what appear to be Blue and five Black :shock: I was expecting Chocolate or Lilac...I have bred her again to her sire (Big Daddy...*sniff*) and am hoping to get some more Chocolates. These are just for fun, and I am not selling them unless someone is only looking for meat production. I think the colors are lovely.

This is a pic of Mocha as a Jr.

IMG-20110907-00278.jpg

Oooh- she is pretty! I didn't know they could come in other colors. Have you noticed any differences in conformation or growth? I wonder why the other colors aren't recognized.

Not sure, all four are recognized in Europe, but ARBA does not recognize them here. I *may* try to get the COD on Chocolate Cal at some point....

So far, they look and grow the same as any other of my Cal's.

I will have to take pics of the blue kits so you can see them as well....it is very pretty.

Oh but you CAN show blue and chocolate Cals here. I'm absolutely dead certain you can. The Cal standard never mentions black points. Instead, it says "dark as possible." I've been told by Darrel Howe - I think it was him - that you can show blues and chocolates, and I think I've seen it done. My royalty knowledge is getting rusty now, but in the other two breeds that recognize Cal (i.e. Rex and Satin), one or both does specify that points other than black is a DQ. But not so in the Californian breed. They won't do as well in terms of color as the blacks, but they are showable.

(Just for clarification, I am NOT confusing this with any of the breeds that call the color "pointed white" or "himalayan.")

OneAcreFarm":2wom05te said:
Really? That is interesting...I will have to look into that....

From the Californian breed standard...( newest edition...

Color and Markings..."color to be as near black as possible"
Faults " any other color"

:( ...dang...cuz those chocolates are really nice !

:bunnyhop:

Random Rabbit":2tlsakcp said:
OneAcreFarm":2tlsakcp said:
Really? That is interesting...I will have to look into that....

From the Californian breed standard...( newest edition...

Color and Markings..."color to be as near black as possible"
Faults " any other color"

:( ...dang...cuz those chocolates are really nice !

:bunnyhop:

Yup, that is what I remembered seeing...is a fault the same thing as a DQ? I really think it would be awesome if the other colors were recognized. They are so pretty.

OneAcreFarm":2fh8udwm said:
Yup, that is what I remembered seeing...is a fault the same thing as a DQ? I really think it would be awesome if the other colors were recognized. They are so pretty.

No... a fault is not the same as a DQ. A judge will eliminate a rabbit with a DQ before they place the class. A fault will hold the animal back from higher placings. At least in our area... competition in Cals is so vigorous... that a color fault, would pretty much eliminate the rabbit from any placings.

Thanks Random! I didn't have the SOP handy.

So yeah, like Random said a fault is a fault, but only that. Won't be a DQ unless you get an ignorant judge. I don't know how many points in the Cal standard are on color, but that should affect how severe a fault it is. They are awfully pretty.

Wow! That is a beautiful color! I've always preferred blue over seal in Siamese cats though. Breed up a Flame-point, and I'll really be impressed!

I have a question about other markings on what appears to be a normal Cali. One of my Cali/NZW mix does has what looks like a chinstrap . It is a very thin line of black running right under her dewlap. What is up with that? Do some Cali's have this?

currituckbun":38cicgvz said:
One of my Cali/NZW mix does has what looks like a chinstrap . It is a very thin line of black running right under her dewlap. What is up with that?

You can't post about an interesting marking like that without posting a photo! What is up with that?

currituckbun":1724x2zr said:
I have a question about other markings on what appears to be a normal Cali. One of my Cali/NZW mix does has what looks like a chinstrap . It is a very thin line of black running right under her dewlap. What is up with that? Do some Cali's have this?

That is a direct result of her dewlap laying on the cold wire. Cal markings are the result of a temperature sensitive gene. The colder the area, the darker the coloring, so nose, ears, feet and tail all get the darkest. But any area that gets chilled will darken.

Latest posts

Back