Orylag - The luxury French fur from Rex du Poitou rabbits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaggieJ

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I've posted before about the Rex du Poitou rabbits being raised in France for both meat and fur. They are raised to about 20 weeks on a natural diet based on alfalfa and grain. About 60% of the profit comes from the fur and 40% from the meat which is sold mainly to upscale restaurants. Please excuse the translation by Google... It leaves a lot to be desired.

http://translate.google.ca/translate?hl ... 26hs%3DbUg

The fur from the Rex du Poitou rabbits is called Orylag (Registered trade name). It is frightfully expensive and luxurious.
http://www.orylag.com/version_anglaise/index.php

Try searching for Orylag on eBay, just for fun. The prices will make you sit up and take notice!

Very nice, now I just wish the trend would catch on State-side. Most of the stuff I saw in Ebay was multiple thousand dollars. I wonder how much I could get for a first-timers blanket. Looking at Orylag website they have a lot of skill getting the fur to all match up. I'm impressed and wouldn't mind if they taught me a few techniques.

I have heard rumors of two different rex fur producers right here in the U.S but if they do exist they must keep a pretty low profile because I have no idea who is running them or who they market fur though. It would be awesome to set up something similar here in the U.S and I have spent alot of time thinking about how to do it but I have been far to busy and finding high quality consistent rex rabbits locally is impossible.

MaggieJ":3hqjqqyu said:
If the idea caught on in North America, it would be a great thing for Standard Rex breeders. Can you imagine the demand for breeding stock?
If only.... that would be awesome!!

Surely American design houses and manufacturers would be interested in an American product rather than importing it, if the quality and price were right. I'd be interested in getting together with other breeders and doing more research into this.

What is it that makes the French pelts so much more desirable? Is it just that they are waiting until the coat is prime to harvest, or is it substantially different than the Rex we have in this country now?

I wonder if there is a greater demand for specific colors.

I think a similar model could work here, especially if one could set up a certified organic system for the meat side of the market.

Anyway, this is something I'd be extremely interested in pursuing and am more than willing to put in the work if other people are interested. I think in order to make it profitable and sustainable we would need several breeders in on it. I know some smaller scale meat producers will coordinate their efforts and breeding schedules, set up a system where multiple people deliver their own rabbits along a route to the same shipper to create a single large order fulfillment. I just wish I had an idea of a processor that would place the orders in the first place.

I think the largest roadblock is that the American meat market wants young fryers, but that could be overcome if restaurants and specialty meat markets advertised roasters as an "old world delicacy"

Pepperoni":1tklgynr said:
Surely American design houses and manufacturers would be interested in an American product rather than importing it, if the quality and price were right. I'd be interested in getting together with other breeders and doing more research into this.

What is it that makes the French pelts so much more desirable? Is it just that they are waiting until the coat is prime to harvest, or is it substantially different than the Rex we have in this country now?

I wonder if there is a greater demand for specific colors.

I think a similar model could work here, especially if one could set up a certified organic system for the meat side of the market.

Anyway, this is something I'd be extremely interested in pursuing and am more than willing to put in the work if other people are interested. I think in order to make it profitable and sustainable we would need several breeders in on it. I know some smaller scale meat producers will coordinate their efforts and breeding schedules, set up a system where multiple people deliver their own rabbits along a route to the same shipper to create a single large order fulfillment. I just wish I had an idea of a processor that would place the orders in the first place.

I think the largest roadblock is that the American meat market wants young fryers, but that could be overcome if restaurants and specialty meat markets advertised roasters as an "old world delicacy"
From what I have read the pelts are just high quality rex pelts, They are bred for very consistent hair length and density and the rabbits are also bred for huge shoulders which helps make a more consistent pelt that doesnt taper as much near the shoulders. The most popular colors seem to be Chinchilla (trying to imitate real chinchillas) Castor, Black and White. Of those colors Chinchilla seems to be the most popular.

Until North Americans get over the obsession with "toughness" you won't see fur production like this over here
This continent is all about "now, now, now" & "I can't fry it so it's no good"

"Orylag" is a registered trade name, and refers to specific lines of Rex that are raised in very specific conditions. Essentially, Orylag is a "name-brand" Rex. Just like you would need Gucci's approval to put the Gucci name on your products, I am sure you would need approval to market your Rex rabbits as Orylag, even though they are essentially the same thing.

Not trying to be a wet blanket, just saying more research needs to be done into how to make sure you can truthfully say you are producing Orylag.

I have no desire to use the Orylag name.

3mina, I'm sure you're right. What I think I might try on a small scale is to let my culls age up into prime coats and then butcher. I have no problem with eating an older rabbit, I actually prefer it because I use my crockpot a lot. It would probably never be a full time job, but if I can make a few extra bucks selling nice pelts then what the heck, right? :)

Pepperoni":1j87pshp said:
I have no desire to use the Orylag name.

3mina, I'm sure you're right. What I think I might try on a small scale is to let my culls age up into prime coats and then butcher. I have no problem with eating an older rabbit, I actually prefer it because I use my crockpot a lot. It would probably never be a full time job, but if I can make a few extra bucks selling nice pelts then what the heck, right? :)

We tanned one older rex doe and her fur, hands down, is the nicest ever! Its so nice I am culling my herd hard to fit in a breeding trio.

The prices of those items, gosh! :shock:

Although I've read that "fur" rabbits are, to use the French terminology, sacrificed ("l'âge du sacrifice") somewhere around 4 to 5 months, and the Rex du Poitou rabbits are indeed sacrificed at 17 or 18 weeks, the website doesn't seem to discuss fur production anywhere. (Maybe my French has fallen off more badly than I thought....)

Even a venture as humble as rabbit-fur production in the U.S. will have a hard row to hoe. Although the French fashion houses and a few Japanese designers are showing it, there have been two widely publicized incidents in the past 15 years with regard to the Burlington Coat Factory importing coats, jackets, parkas, etc. from Asia which turned out to have dog and/or cat fur on them (rather than the contracted-for and presumably acceptable "coyote" fur). This article describes the 1998 incident; this one deals with the mid-2000s incident regarding false labelling of real fur as "faux fur." Another key issue in the mid-2000s was the myriad of cruel ways in which animals were killed to provide their fur for fashion (almost all of these killings took place in China; some may have taken place in Mongolia or Korea). note: I am purposely NOT giving details on these, as the links can be followed for more info and I don't want to poison this thread with irrelevant, overly emotional verbal images.

Public outcry on these two incidents was huge; the Burlington Coat Factory endured boycotts, demonstrations, and much else, very little of it orchestrated by either the HSUS or PETA. Federal legislation was passed in the wake of the 1998 incident to criminalize the importation of items containing cat and dog fur. It passed almost without opposition, largely because of the status cats and dogs occupy as "pets" aka "companion animals" in the U.S. Rabbits occupy a more nebulous position, but many people do consider them "companion animals," and indeed they're the third most commonly kept house pet in the U.S. (I have no statistics for Canada; sorry). Any attempt to develop a larger industry in rabbit fur (i.e., beyond craft-fair status) would need to deal with this buzz saw of public opinion and the collective memory of the incidents involving cat/dog fur on coats. The videos of the killings were extremely graphic and upsetting; no matter how carefully, factually, humanely, and "good animal husbandry-wise" the rabbit fur and meat harvesting/sacrifice might be described, there would be people who would simply refuse to believe these honest statements and insist that "horrible methods" (unspecified, no doubt) were being implemented. :(

I entered this thread for two reasons:

--the word "Rex" was in the title, and I saw three (I think) Rex rabbits in heat/water distress at my first show the other day;
--after I read the enthusiastic posts here from Rex breeders, it seemed to me that folks might be unaware of the dog/cat fur incidents in the U.S. Without the Burlington Coat Factory situations, it probably would have been reasonable to consider some ramping-up of Rex production, but due to the BCF incidents, perhaps much more difficult?

(I note that the eBay items on page 1 of "orylag" are offered from Canada, Australia, Great Britain, etc. Are there any from the U.S.?)

DogCatMom":16wb9vx6 said:
Although I've read that "fur" rabbits are, to use the French terminology, sacrificed ("l'âge du sacrifice") somewhere around 4 to 5 months, and the Rex du Poitou rabbits are indeed sacrificed at 17 or 18 weeks...

If they are "harvesting" for fur I find it hard to believe that they are doing so at 5 months. Rex pelts are usually prime between 7-9 months. I have not had much success tanning my own but I'd be very interested in corresponding with other Rex breeders about anything that would increase the breed's popularity.

DogCatMom":3pmrp37o said:

--the word "Rex" was in the title, and I saw three (I think) Rex rabbits in heat/water distress at my first show the other day;
--after I read the enthusiastic posts here from Rex breeders, it seemed to me that folks might be unaware of the dog/cat fur incidents in the U.S. Without the Burlington Coat Factory situations, it probably would have been reasonable to consider some ramping-up of Rex production, but due to the BCF incidents, perhaps much more difficult?

(I note that the eBay items on page 1 of "orylag" are offered from Canada, Australia, Great Britain, etc. Are there any from the U.S.?)

Don't take this conversation more seriously than what it really is, just some musing about something that is considered a superior product, that is just Rex to us, and some musings. No ones going to rev up their production to try and match the French.

Most of us are aware of the controversy about fur in the US, especially where rabbits are concerned, which is one of the reasons the fur breeds have fallen out of favor, Rex and Silver Fox being two that are bred far and in between, which has given way to the rise of the dwarf pet breeds.

Besides the fact that most US manufacturing happens overseas, where it is cheaper, the second, the French are considered superior in a number of aspects, clothing and food being two, and there are people who would not buy US because they like the status of buying French.

skysthelimit":1hboyoun said:
DogCatMom":1hboyoun said:

Most of us are aware of the controversy about fur in the US, especially where rabbits are concerned, which is one of the reasons the fur breeds have fallen out of favor, Rex and Silver Fox being two that are bred far and in between, which has given way to the rise of the dwarf pet breeds.

Besides the fact that most US manufacturing happens overseas, where it is cheaper, the second, the French are considered superior in a number of aspects, clothing and food being two, and there are people who would not buy US because they like the status of buying French.

Thank you for the explanation re. dwarf breed popularity! It has seemed to me, since I began my wanderings through the Rabbit World earlier in the summer, that I've had to (figuratively speaking) push my way through lots of photos (rescues, Petfinder, etc.) of dwarf and other smaller rabbits as well as discussions on many smaller breeds while trying to find what I was looking for. At least now I know that I was (probably) doing OK as far as my methods are concerned; there simply are lots of smaller bunnies around.

At the rabbit show on Saturday (the 14th), though, it seemed as though almost two-thirds of the entered rabbits were standard size. The first breed on one judge's table was Dutch, and there were 93 of them! :fainting: Poor lady; she was worn to a frazzle. The standard-sized breeds I remember for sure were Thriantas, Standard Rex, Americans, New Zealands, English Angoras (only; no French or anyone else), American Chinchillas, Beverens, Californians, Rhinelanders; I'm sure others were there, too. No giant breeds at all. There wasn't a written list except the one taped to each judge's table, showing his/her order of judging and the number of entries for that breed. Since I wasn't feeling 100% due to a hard fall on the sidewalk the day before, my memory wasn't working too well.

There were Tans--maybe a small but not dwarf breed? They seemed rather bouncy, and absolutely Did Not Want to Stay in the judging cages! Another observer and I thwarted a would-be Tan escape by latching down a four-hole cage whose safety had slipped after the judge placed a Tan back into it. (She was at the other end of her very long table with another pair of Tans, watching them move.)

Of course, I didn't actually get to stroke any of the Rex rabbits. Their dance cards were full; they weren't on public display for my personal fulfillment. *sigh* But they looked gorgeous, beautifully textured and colored, and ready for anything.

I like the idea of a "normal sized" rabbit or even a larger one. Smaller ones, even the Tans, make me worry that they might break in this house. (Angoras have the advantage of looking much larger than their actual weight!) I regularly have one or two dogs who weigh anywhere from 70 to maybe 110 pounds (36 to 50 kg), and right now I have three cats, the smallest of whom weighs 9 lb (just over 4 kg) and the largest of whom weighs 14 lb (6.5 kg). The weights of some of the dwarf breeds are just too small for my comfort. For example, Netherland Dwarf rabbits, according to this source, run "from 500 g to 1.6 kg (1.1 lbs to 3.5 lbs)."

To bring this thread more or less back to its original focus, I just had a BFO (Blinding Flash of the Obvious) moment re. the word Orylag itself. It was obvious that the "-lag" part related to lagomorph, but the "ory-" puzzled me until I saw the scientific name for domestic rabbits in general:

Oryctolagus cuniculus

:slap:

Hmm. Interesting show then. Generally most shows I go to are swarmed by holland lops and Mini Rex.

Now that I've joined the world of Jersey Woolies, I can finally take part in a show where there are more than two exhibitors. Rex and Silver Fox are rare around here.

France is the point of origin for all things Rex, so I am not surprised that they have taken it to a new level.

caroline":x535uolm said:
DogCatMom":x535uolm said:
Although I've read that "fur" rabbits are, to use the French terminology, sacrificed ("l'âge du sacrifice") somewhere around 4 to 5 months, and the Rex du Poitou rabbits are indeed sacrificed at 17 or 18 weeks...

If they are "harvesting" for fur I find it hard to believe that they are doing so at 5 months. Rex pelts are usually prime between 7-9 months. I have not had much success tanning my own but I'd be very interested in corresponding with other Rex breeders about anything that would increase the breed's popularity.

4-5 mos is "Jr Prime" for Rex...that may be when they are harvesting.

Back