Orphan rabbit... healthy?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashyderk

Reaction score
My aunt’s dog got into a nest on Thursday, killed the mom, and all the other baby bunnies. My aunt gave it to me after I did about 12 hours of reading on Thursday/Friday on how to take care of an orphan because no rescues got back to us. I’ve had this kit for about 3 days and it just seems so small to me and isn’t eating very well. I’m about to change the formula to evaporated goats milk, egg yolk, and corn syrup because I read good things about it. I’m assuming it’s 5-6 days old. Does it look like it’s too skinny or anything? Can someone give advice?

Attachments

• E004E6D2-D31E-4304-833C-172D0CE081C8.jpeg
    E004E6D2-D31E-4304-833C-172D0CE081C8.jpeg
    354 KB · Views: 1,091
  • 0A4586F4-72B2-4C7B-A907-476B9AB3BC65.jpeg
    0A4586F4-72B2-4C7B-A907-476B9AB3BC65.jpeg
    192.9 KB · Views: 1,091
he looks a little to skinny to me but its hard to tell.
all of mine always looked like someone stuck a balloon to its underside.

Yes, it's definitely dehydrated and probably starving. Definitely use the suggested evaporated goats milk formula. It's no guarantee it will save the bun, but it can give it a fighting chance. Kmr is for a totally different type of animal and feeding style. It doesn't work well at all for rabbits. Are the eyes opened up yet? The way it's sitting in your hand, they kinda look like they should be.
Cottontails develop very quickly, but are also extremely susceptible to bacteria.
You can try offering some hay, oats, and/or good digestion herbs (think bitter herbs for digestion, blackberry leaves, raspberry leaves, rose or strawberry leaves, plantain, things like that) along with the formula.

Here's a link to a recipe for baby rabbit milk that can be made of things mostly found in the kitchen, although the bone meal is a garden additive: http://hillsidefarmhawaii.com/blog/2018/20180801.html

The little bunny doesn't seem to have his eyes open, so less then ten days old? But if you've had him for three days and he's still alive, good job! He may be old enough to nibble on forages, perhaps some dry rolled oats (unflavored oatmeal). That's a nice high energy food. Plus things like dandelion greens and such. He could still use milk, though, as much as he can eat, although at that size half a tablespoon full is a meal for him, isn't it?

too thin.
Needs to be pushed a bit more to eat perhaps.
I find using a pipette one of the best ways of feeding these little ones.
Might need help staying warm.
Follow the advice above about other feeds as well.

post moor pics when you can. :) :) :bunnyhop: :bunnyhop: :bunnyhop: :bunnyhop:

Back