Orange, rosemary and mint

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catherine99

Reaction score
I am moving our rabbit to deep shade which happens to be under the orange tree. Orange seem to a safe food for rabbit although don't plan to feed it.

Can anyone see a problem with place a bunch of mint and rosemary to top the cage? I aim is to keep the mozzies away.

I need to keep "Captain" cool note it will be cooler in our yard that inside whilst I am at work tomorrow.

Orange seem to a safe food for rabbit although don't plan to feed it.
It is not safe to assume that the foliage and wood of a tree is safe, just because it produces edible fruits. I know that orange foliage is said to be toxic to cats, so I would take steps to ensure that stray leaves don't find their way into the cage.

Rosemary and mint are not toxic to rabbits and I have often fed mint, but please note: members of the mint family will inhibit milk production in does and I have also heard it is not good for young kits either.

Used as a deterrent to flies and mosquitoes, rosemary and mint are fine. If your buck nibbles a bit it should not cause any problems. I have often used catnip (Cataria nepeta) that way. It is very effective, especially if well-bruised. The same cautions apply to catnip as to the other mints.

Hope your buck enjoys the cool shade!

Please tell me I'm not the only one who's brain tried to line the title of this thread up with the melody of "Scarborough Fair"!

i remember reading some information that the fruits themselves are linked to cancer in small animals like mice and rats, but i'd never heard anything about the leaves being bad for them. nice to know my buns have a new forage option...well, if my satsuma tree wasn't the saddest thing ever because i accidentally stunted it.

not gonna lie, i thought this was a recipe as well. rabbit with orange, rosemary, and mint sounds amazing. i might have to try it out ;P

Back