Register

Opinions on resting mats

Advice on purchasing or constructing cages and hutches for your rabbitry.
Site Supporter
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 920.00

Re: Opinions on resting mats

Post Number:#16  Unread postby AmberRae » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:32 pm

I have no doubt that you are right ladysown. It is just not a trait that I look at as negative so I don't hold it against them and wouldn't cull for it. The resting mats are a better alternative for me. Honestly me spending more time making sure they are out of their cage more is ultimately how I will fix this issue. For now though they need something to rest there feet on.

-- Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:32 pm --

I decided to go with the plastic lattice. It is working very well and I was able to make a mat 30" x 24" for $5. The rabbits seem to love them, even the ones that were not showing any signs of sore feet. So far they are not pulling them up or chewing on them. Thanks so much for all the suggestions :)
Attachments
restingmat.jpg
restingmat.jpg (27.89 KiB) Viewed 149 times

BunnyBucks: 182.00

Post Number:#17  Unread postby Marie28 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:18 pm

Some places I have read that unclipped nails can also cause the rabbit to put more weight on his hocks causing sore hocks. But mostly I think it has to do with the rabbit not having the proper fur protection.

I love using tiles for the summer time. We put them in the freezer and they love rest on them. They are also a lot easier to clean than wood and they don't chew on them like plastic.

The following user would like to thank Marie28 for this post
AmberRae

Site Supporter
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 920.00

Post Number:#18  Unread postby AmberRae » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:21 pm

Good to know about the nails could contribute. I don't trim as often as I should. It might just be a coincidence but the 2 buns that looked the worst always have their nails longer than the other buns on trimming day. I will make sure I get them extra trimmed just in case that was a factor.

2 years of membership2 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 1,611.00

Post Number:#19  Unread postby BlueHaven » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:33 pm

Another thing to watch is your rabbits weight.. Once in a while I will have a doe really heave with a large litter and her hocks can get touchy. Once the kits are born and weaned it goes away. My buck right now has a case and he is WAY to heavy. It just got away from me. He has a large towel he sits on till they heal and is on a mostly hay diet till he get back to something that resemble a healthy weight.

The following user would like to thank BlueHaven for this post
AmberRae

1 year of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 3,598.00

Post Number:#20  Unread postby SarniaTricia » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:08 am

BlueHaven wrote:Another thing to watch is your rabbits weight.. Once in a while I will have a doe really heave with a large litter and her hocks can get touchy. Once the kits are born and weaned it goes away. My buck right now has a case and he is WAY to heavy. It just got away from me. He has a large towel he sits on till they heal and is on a mostly hay diet till he get back to something that resemble a healthy weight.

I'm glad I'm not the only one..... those bucks are tricky.... always seem hungry then one day... bam, FAT... ;)
Breeding Magpie Harlequin Rabbits for Showing, Meat and Pelts...
Working towards a farm to raise animals with respect and care.
Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada

https://www.facebook.com/BABRabbits/
https://www.facebook.com/Growing-Urban- ... 749253819/
https://www.facebook.com/AmherstburgFarmersMarket/

Previous