Opinions? Myxomatosis or fungal or...?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nyctra

Reaction score
I've been hearing of myxomatosis outbreaks all along the west coast, so my mind imedaitly jumps to that...

BUT these babies have a really dumb habit of basically dunking their heads in their water multiple times a day. It's been going on for weeks and I've been wondering when something would crop up...

Unless I brushed the same bunny twice, I don't remember this yesterday. :( Red, damp, a little raw, a little puffy... A vet diagnosis is not an option.
If it IS myxo, is it still safe to cook & eat?

Attachments

• IMG_6467.jpg
    IMG_6467.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 989
Myxo has other symptoms, puffy eye lids and ears, apathy, problems to breath after a few days. The meat would be safe anyway, but I'm quite sure it's not Myxo you're looking at.

Never seen something like this, to me it looks more like an (infected?) injury on the picture. It's on the breast/under the chin, right?
Now idea what an fungal infection would look like.
How old is the rabbit?

11 weeks old. This is the throat. He could hide it pretty well under his chin when he didn't want me messing with it.
There's no puss or oozing, and I couldn't find a wound where the blood might've been coming from. It just seems to be raw and weeping. :s

I agree with Preitler that it does not look like myxo. I'm on the west coast and recently lost rabbits that tested positive for myxomatosis. While mine did develop bare patches where their hair just brushed out, it wasn't oozing or raw like yours.

Back