Opened eyed kits allowed to explore

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My does newest kits are 11 days old and I suspect tomorrow will have there eyes open. They are fat and healthy with fur but should I tip the nest box on its side so they can explore the cage?

Then again I will just lay an old shirt on the cage in that area so they so they are still on some what warmer surface. If they need more warmth they can crawl into the sideways nest box.

Tipping the box over is for getting back into the nest after they went exploring, not for letting them out - they are incredible good at that, can climb way better than adults, and will do it at some point without your permission :D.

In nature that isn't a problem, everywhere they go is uphill since the nest is in a tunnel, easy to return home. Not so easy with a nestbox. Alternatively you can put hay or something around the box as a easy ramp.

I just put them back in before night and have a heatlamp up. They crawl out and then back in. I don't take or move the box around until they all come out on their own

golden rabbitry":388xv8w3 said:
I just put them back in before night and have a heatlamp up. They crawl out and then back in. I don't take or move the box around until they all come out on their own
Ok great thanks for the help!

Btw if this goes through I'll be shocked. My phone is acting up after I posted this and I haven't been able to reply publicly. <br /><br /> -- Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:01 am -- <br /><br />
Preitler":388xv8w3 said:
Tipping the box over is for getting back into the nest after they went exploring, not for letting them out - they are incredible good at that, can climb way better than adults, and will do it at some point without your permission :D.

In nature that isn't a problem, everywhere they go is uphill since the nest is in a tunnel, easy to return home. Not so easy with a nestbox. Alternatively you can put hay or something around the box as a easy ramp.
Good point I like the ramp idea and never thought about in nature how they have to be climbers.
Today I guess my phone is letting me post! :evil: (Time for a new phone)

Back