Oops. . . head counts are important

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shea

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Well I had my first escapee. Maybe last night but could have been out for awhile, kinda what I'm leaning towards.

One of my cats had been whining at me for most of the night. I had heard one of my others make his 'hey I caught something come get it call' and since was in no mood to clean up feathers I ignored it and didnt let my whiner outside. This morning after everybody was let out and the chores were done I stopped to check what exactly he was munching on.
It was a young rabbit a little bigger then mine are currently and since we do have some wild in the area it didnt register. . .
Then I thought thats an odd color for a cottontail, I'd never seen one with a half chestnut half chinchilla coat. . . . :/

Then I went and did a head count.
It must have been out for a while and I just hadn't noticed, its kind of hard notice there is only 8 where there should have been nine. So I'm down one of my oddball satins that couldnt make up its mind what color it wanted to be, and I will need to spend the afternoon tweaking the cage to make sure there are no escape routes.

I've had that happen - but with no cats and my cages in an enclosed shed, the ending was I kept hearing the worlds biggest scrabbling sounds and was scared silly, before eventually finding rogue bunnies under lawnmowers or under cage trays. This has happened twice, actually with the troublemakers known as "The Chilchilla" and "Skunk" being responsible. Both squeezed out of a 2.5" hole intended for a J feeder and fell 6 feet down to the ground. Oddly, neither broke a bone. Turns out that baby-bunnies bounce! :lol:

I'm sorry you weren't able to recapture your escapee. :(

Thanks, but seeing as I didnt even Know I had an escapee I'm not very upset about it. At least I know what happened and am not just left stumped when I go to do the next weigh in. That and I have 20 more to keep track off. :roll:
I am not looking forward to having to build another growout.

Latest posts

Back