Register

One year in, thoughts on my utility king pigeons

Dogs and Cats, Other Pets, Poultry and Livestock. If it's yours and it runs, flies, swims or crawls, post about it here.
Site Supporter
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 31,830.00

Re: One year in, thoughts on my utility king pigeons

Post Number:#31  Unread postby Zass » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:27 pm

Thorn wrote:Ive been looking for a good pigeon site, similar to Rabbit Talk , but I haven't found anything. Any recommendations?

There was an old pigeon-talk site, but I guess they wouldn't allow anyone to talk about eating pigeons, or even euthanasia, lumping both those topics in with cruelty and abuse..
Doesn't sound like they would be very helpful for someone who actually wants to manage a healthy flock, and I'm sure the word "utility" is banned. :roll:

Site Supporter
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 9,305.00

Post Number:#32  Unread postby michaels4gardens » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:55 am

Zass wrote:
Thorn wrote:Ive been looking for a good pigeon site, similar to Rabbit Talk , but I haven't found anything. Any recommendations?

There was an old pigeon-talk site, but I guess they wouldn't allow anyone to talk about eating pigeons, or even euthanasia, lumping both those topics in with cruelty and abuse..
Doesn't sound like they would be very helpful for someone who actually wants to manage a healthy flock, and I'm sure the word "utility" is banned. :roll:

Don't you love it-- I wonder what their new world would eat if they ever got their way..
meat-mutt rabbits, a few laying hens.

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 12,365.00

Post Number:#33  Unread postby GBov » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:20 am

michaels4gardens wrote:
Zass wrote:

Don't you love it-- I wonder what their new world would eat if they ever got their way..

Air?

The following user would like to thank GBov for this post
michaels4gardens

Site Supporter
BunnyBucks: 633.00

Post Number:#34  Unread postby Shea » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:24 am

The sun. Only True free energy could possibly be sustainable and earth friendly. . . . Sun worshipers are weird :shock:

2 years of membership2 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 3,215.00

Post Number:#35  Unread postby Nymphadora » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:01 am

GBov wrote:
michaels4gardens wrote:
Zass wrote:There was an old pigeon-talk site, but I guess they wouldn't allow anyone to talk about eating pigeons, or even euthanasia, lumping both those topics in with cruelty and abuse..

Air?

Is it bad that I really want to say "chicken"? :twisted:
Because, you know, they can grow that on styrofoam trays at the grocery store... :roll: :lol:

Site Supporter
United States of America

Post Number:#36  Unread postby Zass » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:44 pm

The little yellow hatchlings I pictured earlier are all ready for harvest, it's been 4 weeks, hasn't it? I should go get a pic and weights.

__________ Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:40 pm __________

Yep, they hatched March 23, making them 33 days old, 5 weeks.
I could probably have harvested them sooner. maybe next time I'll take weekly weights?

Pied squabs.jpg
Pied squabs.jpg (243.38 KiB) Viewed 144 times

Sorry it's blurry, I just snapped a quick pic cause it was raining.

Both squabs turned out pied, so now I know the pied genes are coming from my white male. :)

We weighed them today; 20.3 and 20.4 oz. That was before feeding, so that their weight wasn't offset by a full crop.
I don't know if that is good or not, but the adults are in the 20-24 oz range, so I think it's OK?

I don't think squabs are supposed to weigh more than adults? :?

The following user would like to thank Zass for this post
michaels4gardens, Nymphadora, Thorn

2 years of membership2 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 3,215.00

Post Number:#37  Unread postby Nymphadora » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:19 pm

Zass wrote:Both squabs turned out pied, so now I know the pied genes are coming from my white male. :)

We weighed them today; 20.3 and 20.4 oz. That was before feeding, so that their weight wasn't offset by a full crop.
I don't know if that is good or not, but the adults are in the 20-24 oz range, so I think it's OK?

:P
That sounds great! Any chance you can add pictures of what they look like after butcher, and cooked, too? Haha, ok, maybe I'm kidding... but I am drooling just thinking about it!

And I wonder if the weight gain is because they haven't started been flapping around as long as the adults? Although you'd think muscle weighs more than fat... :?

:popcorn:

Site Supporter
United States of America

Post Number:#38  Unread postby Zass » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:05 pm

Nymphadora wrote:
Zass wrote:Both squabs turned out pied, so now I know the pied genes are coming from my white male. :)

:P
That sounds great! Any chance you can add pictures of what they look like after butcher, and cooked, too? Haha, ok, maybe I'm kidding... but I am drooling just thinking about it!

And I wonder if the weight gain is because they haven't started been flapping around as long as the adults? Although you'd think muscle weighs more than fat... :?

:popcorn:

You know I will post ALL the pictures. :lol:

These guys haven't flown at all yet. I have plans on culling two other mateless young males (under a year old) at the same time. Then, I will attempt to pluck and grill them medium, crispy on the outside, with lots of rosemary, thyme and garlic slipped under the skin. Wish me luck. :clover:

michaels4gardens, Nymphadora

Site Supporter
BunnyBucks: 9,305.00

Post Number:#39  Unread postby michaels4gardens » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:20 pm

Zass ,I thought of your pigeons today-- as I was passing a old brick commercial building [on my morning walk] I saw someone had thrown a pile of dead pigeons off the roof - a reminder to me of why not to have pigeons in the city- and let them fly.. I am sure they were poisoned... such a waste..
meat-mutt rabbits, a few laying hens.

BunnyBucks: 20.00

Post Number:#40  Unread postby Thorn » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:42 pm

[/quote]There was an old pigeon-talk site, but I guess they wouldn't allow anyone to talk about eating pigeons, or even euthanasia, lumping both those topics in with cruelty and abuse..
Doesn't sound like they would be very helpful for someone who actually wants to manage a healthy flock, and I'm sure the word "utility" is banned. :roll:[/quote]
Don't you love it-- I wonder what their new world would eat if they ever got their way..[/quote]

Air?[/quote]

Just finding a site where I could talk about eating rabbits is difficult. Add onto that the attempt to feed them without pellets and everyones at your throat. This website is an exception.

I am hoping feeding the pigeons the same fermented mix of cracked corn, peas,oats,and BOSS that we feed chickens will be sufficient. Also talking with the family "builder" about building a moveable pigeon cage so they can be on grass every day without being hawk food.Thinking something like this, for when its warm out, with a tarp or metal over top and smaller wire around the cattle panels.Would have a door of course.

Site Supporter
United States of America

Post Number:#41  Unread postby Zass » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:58 pm

Pigeons are remarkably versatile when it comes to feeding. That mix sounds OK to me. Access to grit is necessary, but any ground contact should suffice.

With a lack of pigeons feed available in many parts of the country, most people I know use a 50/50 ratio of mixed birdseed and chicken feed.

I can't help but think a calcium supplement might be beneficial with that mix too, more for the chickens than the pigeons. Crushing and refeeding eggshells is the easiest way to go about that.

Moving them around chicken tractor style would work if you had non-breeding pigeons. Most utilities have squabs or nests all summer long, and unlike rabbits, they have to have constant access to their young.

For a reference, these babies are 5 weeks old and still haven't joined their parents at the feeding tray, they are still 100% dependent on being fed. Sometimes the parents will start to sit a new nest while still feeding the last clutch.

Thorn

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 10,925.00

Post Number:#42  Unread postby grumpy » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:52 am

If you have access to a grain elevator around your part of the country, you can buy corn, wheat, milo, and some kind of a pea to blend your own mix of feed for the birds. I used to buy the "Venetion-Red" grit for my birds in 50 pound bags. The plus about buying separate bags of grain is the fact that you can adjust the blend according to the weather conditions in your area. In really cold periods, you can increase the corn percentage, and lessen it when it becomes warmer. Plus, it's far cheaper per pound that store-bought blended mixes.

It's been 20+ years since I had the birds, but I had a family of Morris Gordons for almost 40 years. The Gordons were a family of long-distance Homers known for their abilities for flying in rough weather conditions across the English Channel around the turn of the last century. I could trace my entire family of birds back to one, or more of the original 8 birds I purchased as a young boy in 1958. Homers are a bit bigger and carry more weight than most other fancy breeds of birds, but the utility Kings are hands-down the best in production and good weights in a shorter span of time. The Modena's were a pretty good meat producer, but the show people got them all screwed up over the years. What a modern-day Modena looks like is far, far different than the original meat birds.

When I adopted my 3 boys in 1992, I realized the amount of time they'd need. So, consequently, I had to make a choice about my birds. I sold my entire stud to a Japanese fancier named Kawamata and exported them to Japan. The sale price was lucrative enough that I could purchase the small farmette we live on today. SMH---The boys are grown, the birds long gone, and I'm too old and disabled to keep the farm.!!! Life goes on.

Good luck with your birds, Zass. They're a unique critter that if more people patterned their lives after, this world would be a far better place to live in. Their lives center on family, mate, and home. In this crazy world we now live in, what else is there?? Not a helluva lot, really.

Grumpy
Author of Historical Romance Novels: The Trilogy of: Box of Dreams, Scarlet Dreams, and Shattered Dreams.
My newest work: Now in publication. Redemption Road.
Visit my website for more information. http://www.ekfelts.com

The following user would like to thank grumpy for this post
MaggieJ, michaels4gardens, Thorn, Zass

BunnyBucks: 467.00

Post Number:#43  Unread postby Ghost » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:41 pm

Zass wrote:

I think good ol' Rabbit talk will provide a safe place for us to talk about meat pidgins. On another forum, Ohiogoatgirl bookmarked some threads on BackyardChickens discussing the topic of eating guinea pigs. It seems odd that even on BYC the conversation was slanted against eating GPs. RT seems the best place to for constructive conversations regarding the humane raising of creatures destine for the table. Perhaps if there is enough interest RT can expand by adding a separate sub-forum for meat pigeons (or meat guinea pigs) if the number of threads warrant it. But for now, I would guess that "Our Other Animals" sub-forum is a good place for the traffic.
You have to do the most good for the most. You most remember that a few will won't make it. Don't be ashamed to shed a tear for the ones lost along the way, we will not hold it against you. Just remember "the herd goes on".

The following user would like to thank Ghost for this post
michaels4gardens, Thorn, Zass

Site Supporter
United States of America

Post Number:#44  Unread postby Zass » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:54 pm

Ghost wrote:
I think good ol' Rabbit talk will provide a safe place for us to talk about meat pidgins. On another forum, Ohiogoatgirl bookmarked some threads on BackyardChickens discussing the topic of eating guinea pigs. It seems odd that even on BYC the conversation was slanted against eating GPs. RT seems the best place to for constructive conversations regarding the humane raising of creatures destine for the table. Perhaps if there is enough interest RT can expand by adding a separate sub-forum for meat pigeons (or meat guinea pigs) if the number of threads warrant it. But for now, I would guess that "Our Other Animals" sub-forum is a good place for the traffic.

I agree Ghost. I only post my pigeons here, and in a closed FB group specifically for meat pigeons. Anyone can PM me for a link to the group. :)

United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 485.00

Post Number:#45  Unread postby guardianoasis » Tue May 08, 2018 12:39 pm

We went to a farm on Sunday that had a small cage of what I'm assuming were these utility king pigeons. Made me think of you. Don't think the hubby was impressed though.
Currently breeding American Chinchilla and Satin rabbits.
Guardian Oasis Website Guardian Oasis Facebook

PreviousNext