One of these things is not like the others...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swaggymama

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

your expertise would be much appreciated...

11 little bunbuns doing well - they've started just in the last few days nibbling at mom's food.

Over the last few days, I've noticed that one little bun is trailing behind the others in terms of weight...

10/11 are averaging 7.5 - 9 ounces..... this little guy seems to be stuck at 5.5 ounces... he hasn't put on any weight in the last 2 days.

He's getting plenty to eat from mom - he's always got a nice round belly after feeding... he's also nibbling at pellets, bits of hay, as well as bits of mom's lettuce, carrot, banana, and celery...

What's wrong with it? Why isn't it growing? The others are now dwarfing him!

No issues otherwise... sticky butt etc... he seems otherwise perfectly healthy, if a little bonier than the others...

If he's still got a round/full tummy after feeding but he looks skinnier (i.e. "bonier") than the other kits... my bet is on genetics. He just may not have as good a growth factor as his littermates, and there's really not that much to be done to help. Maybe someone else will chime in with another idea, but for now as long as the kit is eating and growing somewhat... it may just be the way of things.

----

(Ooh, I just thought of it, but maybe keep an eye on his teeth as well... malocclusion can cause rabbits to have trouble eating sometimes!)

Thank you - he's definitely not having any issues eating... he eats just as much, if not more, as some of the bigger buns. My daughters and I split up a few of them, gave them the same amount of foods (pellets, lettuce, fruit slices, veggies...) and the little one had it gone before the fatty did!

I will keep an eye on the teeth.

I'm going to be filing their little sharp nails this weekend. Ouch.

Back