One of my Black Rabbits must be a Super Steel

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wheels

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Bred a broken Black Buck to a Black Doe who kindled babies early Tuesday and lookit what I got!
IMG_3216.jpg
because you know 6 solid Agouti marked kits would be the most logical - unless my eyes deceive me and these are not Agouti kits. :?

The mystery will be in figuring out who is hiding the EsEs. I don't have pedigrees on either of the parents but knowing where they came from I'm not sure if pedigrees would be much help as I know they'll both have Agouti and Steel in their background

I've bred this buck 4 times so far - of course all my other does have A. A black chestnut, a smutty fawn, and black chinchilla. The black doe is the only "self" rabbit I have :roll:

Here's the kits from the other three litters at about the same age - Although I'm not sure you could surmise much with this information ;)

Black Chestnut x broken black = broken GT Steel, Solid Blue GT Steel, and 2 Sold Black GT Steel kits
IMG_2458.jpg

Fawn x Broken Black = Two Solid Black and Two Broken Black (maybe EsEs??)
IMG_2459.jpg

Chinchilla x Broken Black - These are just a week old still so it looks like 2 are either black or steel and the other 4 are broken chinchilla or chestnut
IMG_3224.jpg

In reality it's not a big deal in my breeding program but I would be nice to know who carried what if I did want more true self black rabbits that way if I sell some to a person they won't get something they didn't ask for! I really have hopes it's the buck and I can most likely get a test doe to breed him to. I know someone with black NZ and it would be easy to get a doe from them with a pedigree of back-to-back, black-on-black breeding...That is what I'd want to test with ?

I'll post the parents in a comment. <br /><br /> __________ Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:35 am __________ <br /><br /> Doe is the solid.

Attachments

• IMG_1817.jpg
    IMG_1817.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 1,778
  • IMG_0708.jpg
    IMG_0708.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 1,778
Chestnut X broken black = all steel

Fawn X Brk Black = "black" which could be false self black and actually agouti steel "A_ Es e"

Chin X Brk Black = steel and "black" and chestnut or chin :shock: this one messes up my theory but they are still young :cheesysmile:

This definititly means the Brk Black carries steel and since there are no confirmed chestnuts (or chins) there is a good chance he carries 2 steel genes, however it does not clarify if he is self and steel (aa EsEs) or agouti steel (A_ EsEs)

Do you have any torts or sable points you can test breed him to?

no everything else is agouti in some form - got a seal buck but that doesn't help ;)

I'll get the Chinchillas kits out and look at them close and see if I can make a better guess on their color :)

EDIT - WAIT. I did just pick up a new broken doe that I think is sable. I'll have to double check when I get home! :D

Wheels":14e2qgnx said:
Bred a broken Black Buck to a Black Doe who kindled babies early Tuesday and lookit what I got!
because you know 6 solid Agouti marked kits would be the most logical - unless my eyes deceive me and these are not Agouti kits.

Really? Broken black x black results in agouti kits?

Nika":2ubuvb6d said:
Really? Broken black x black results in agouti kits?

No not usually, these babies should have been black with a small possibility of blue... or so I thought. So, I was very surprised to find a nest full of Agouti kits and that's what got me thinking that one of my black rabbits was a steel carrier of some sort. A Super Steel of some type. :)

The Chinhilla's babies are all black / broken black. I'm not sure why I was thinking they were chinchilla too (wishful thinking I suppose). If it helps any the chinchilla doe is the fawn doe's daughter and both rabbits had "black" kits.

My potential test doe is a no go - she's not sable. She and 3 others are 'rescue' rabbits that I've had about a week. There was a sable buck though :roll: and a sable chin doe.

If the fawn produced the chin then the chin must carry non extension and coupled with steel you often get false blacks but should get some steels as well, they may show ticking once they mature

Well, it's looking more like the broken buck is the agouti super steel :(

I get a number of steel babies and you're right they start out looking black/self and the ticking comes later - if my Buck is a super steel crossing him to my black doe (which I hope is truly self black) made me a bunch of chestnut kits! <br /><br /> __________ Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:26 am __________ <br /><br /> - the chinchilla's babies are all ST steel ;) - fine by me I love that color!! :D

Does anyone have a picture of this illusive super steel? I'd love to see one, and I don't trust google to show me what I want since when I googled super steel I first saw a broken black >.>

Super steel can look EXACTLY like self based blacks (or blue or chocolate or lilac) so I'm not surprised that's what Google showed you

If you search Zass's post for "steel" she posted quite a few pictures of them

However, not all rabbit homozygous for steel will look self

This silver tipped steel is EsEs (proven by test breeding) and was black as a kit but lightened and developed ticking at around 4 weeks old

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    41.4 KB · Views: 1,601
Sounds and looks like my little buck, I'll try to get photo's of him in the next few days and I'll post them. I thought he was some crazy kind of chin cause he came out black *note my printer running out of ink photo, he was solid* and then he started getting gray.

This doe was Esej A- Bb DD cchd c. Proven by breeding.

This was all the white she had

Attachments

• IMG_20141112_142248 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_20141112_142248 (Medium).jpg
    291.2 KB · Views: 1,562
  • IMG_20141112_142455 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_20141112_142455 (Medium).jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 1,562
The second photo isn't showing. However the bun in the first is absolutely stunning! <br /><br /> __________ February 4th, 2017, 10:58 pm __________ <br /><br /> So is he a steel? Super steel? If neither I'd love to know what he is because I'm lost lol, he came out solid black.
rsz_dscf0543.jpgrsz_dscf0541.jpg

Well good thing only test breeding tells because his name is Mato which is Lakota for Bear, I kept one of his chestnut sisters and named her Mila which is a German witch name, and I'm keeping a REW doe from my other doe but I've yet to look up a name for her.

Back