One more question

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ButtonsPalace

Reaction score
So as we all know my rabbit had snuffles and got culled today. My love cleaned the cage for me with my help and some hot vinegar water and a scrub brush.. We scrubbed the entire cage, but I'm not sure if it's safe yet. I need some help with this. I cleaned the entire cage to the best of my abilities the only parts not cleaned were the rood and some the higher back and side walls on her cage, which I highly doubt she touched. We can definitely clean it better, I just want to know how much and how well I need to do this so I don't screw up if ya know what I mean. I haven't even thought about moving a rabbit into it but it needs to be cleaned even if it stays empty.. So how much is enough to guarantee this disease is gone? She had just started getting snotty and sneezing this morning. Her paws had snot on them but not a ton.. I feel so bad for her having to have gone through that..

I did look into it. But I like getting real people's advice. The people who've had to do it. I looked at that website before and thought it was pretty good but I'm having a hard time with some of the words >3< I've had to google several of them... Umm, I'll look and see if I can find something somewhere else maybe..

Editted to say: It took me to a different forum the first time I clicked the link? So I closed the new tab and replied and then I tried it again for some reason and it took me to the right thing! Thank you for the link! :) I usually search before I post but last night I had just drank a huge cup of very strong chamomile tea that I had made so I was crashing as I was typing lol

Well I can't really trash and burn her cage... The way it's set-up is so stupid. I've super disinfected everything and it'll be month before any rabbits are put into it. I think it'd be fine after being cleaned, moved into a new place, and not used for a month or two. It does have wood in it which makes me sketchy about it. I'm thinking about changing out the wire first and replace the wood. I'd really like to separate it from the cage it's connected to but I'm not sure how well that wood work. *I made myself laugh because "not sure how well that wood work".. Because it's wood haha, sorry I'm being stupid*

My understanding is that pasteurella can't really survive long outside an animal's body. I was told only three days of resting time was standard, and might even be more than necessary.

Now, if she had a different disease, like bordetella, I have no idea how long a cage should sit unused.

Bordetella?! Oh jeez... <br /><br /> -- July 4th, 2016, 12:33 pm -- <br /><br /> It says it typically shows up when they are housed with guinea pigs.. It seems to be adults are much less likely to get it and that weanlings are at highest risk. She was 3 years old and we don't have any guinea pigs. I feel like it was snuffles. I mean it would make sense because it seems like most things are accompanied by coughing but she wasn't. She was sneezing a lot, had snot running from her nose in white globs and was rubbing it on her front paws, her appetite had went down but not completely away.. I just looked up symptoms of snuffles and it sounds a lot like what she had. The head shaking and ear itching, etc.

Snuffles is a CATCH ALL term for any thing that has sneezing and/or snot present....so she could not of only had one thing but several. Unless tested you don't know if she had pasturella, bordetella, pneomonia, or some thing else.

I know I go over kill, but I am not about to let a 100.00 cage be the end of my rabbits. I'll eat the cage, even though I'm poor as dirt for the sake of not losing every one.

There are several sites that have biocide cleaners and listing times for things. I would look for some thing strong enough to clean up spores if you're seriously considering trying to use it again and then let it set.

MaggieJ":760t0cup said:
UV (sunlight) is a powerful killer of pathogens. After thoroughly sanitizing the cage, put it outside in direct sunlight for a week or two if you can.

Well what I'll do then is move the doe that's in the other half of the cage and put her into something else. I'll set the cage out of chicken reach and hose it down completely and leave it out there until I absolutely need it in which case I'll use the other half.

Latest posts

Back