OMG. I just got a call ...they had FLEAS!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anntann

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I am SO embarrassed! I need to treat the whole batch of rabbits ANd the dogs AND the house now. :x I told her about Advantage and about Sevin dust. Christ almighty..and I sat there combing out the kits..never saw a flea! NOTHING! OMGOMGOMG. I may never sell another kit I'm so embarrassed :(

HOW DID THIS HAPPEN? She's already pulled 7 of them off the kit!

on a positive note, tho...the kit has blue eyes, light brown wool, and is being friendly and happy. <sigh>

this is why people often treat their babies with a touch of ivermectin before they sell them. :)
that's how you can prevent such events.

it's no biggie. Colony raised rabbits are more prone to such things. :)

injectable between the shoulders is the proven researched method. .018 cc/lb

you'll have to do them all again 10 days or so later (whatever the life cycle is for fleas)

I would use advantage or revolution over ivermectin for fleas personally. I didn't even know ivermec treated fleas actually.

It happens - glad she noticed them before you did - by the time you did it would be awful!!

Thanks, folks. man...I just went and looked and all the colony has them. well...the ones I caught and searched closely. Meat guys don't seem affected yet..but they're high up off the floor. Sophia and her kits are out on the porch and seem to be fine.

I think I'll just do EVERYONE...and since 2 does are pregnant (i think) I'll use the advantage there. Colony gets ivermec, tho. I'd go broke buying advantage for that big crew.

Wasn't there a topic somewhere about ivermec in the water? I'll have to see if I can find that one. probably not practical for the group, anyway

Fleas are easy to get. All it takes is an infested rat, cat, mouse or other mammal to go through your yard and drop a few fleas or flea eggs. It's no reflection on your husbandry unless you allow the fleas to remain. I'd rather do business with someone who was openly horrified to have sold me a rabbit with fleas and promptly declares war on the bugs than someone who is in denial and gets insulted about it.

arachyd":3k53ewlj said:
I'd rather do business with someone who was openly horrified to have sold me a rabbit with fleas and promptly declares war on the bugs than someone who is in denial and gets insulted about it.

Absolutely!

I'm with arachyd and the others. We used to get fleas in our apartment, and we weren't even the ones with pets (at the time)! It's just so easy to pick up a flea problem.

Somebody mentioned Sevin dust for fleas, too.

Back