OMG! Black Walnut Egg Custard!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anntann

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
TOTALLY non rabbit related, but I HAVE to share!

We have chickens. lots of chickens. Which means I have lots of eggs. So I've been making baked custards. Today I was hunting around in the cupboard and dug up some black walnut extract. I'm a little tired of plain vanilla/nutmeg so I thought..hmm.....let's try it.

I HAD tried a rum flavor one once...NOT so good. But this one...HOLY TRIPPING TASTEBUDS, Batman!

Heat oven to 325F.
7 eggs, mixedup
4 cups milk, heated (scalded, then cooled slightly)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup sugar
1tsp black walnut extract (or other types)
1tsp vanilla extract

beat eggs slightly, add in sugar and salt. SLOWLY mix in warm milk, then whisk in the extracts.

Pour into either a 2quart casserole, or custard cups (I use jelly glasses for individual custards). At this point I often grate nutmeg over the top. Put the custards into a larger pan (like a cake pan) that you put 1" HOT water in. Bake for 45minutes. Test with a knife blade..it should come out clean.

cool slightly to eat fresh, or chill thoroughly for a lovely lovely dessert. :D

Sounds delicious! Bet it would be even better with goat's milk. . . :cool:

I do a lot of custards too, to use up eggs, and an easy milk pudding to use up the milk. :)

Sounds delectable! :) This time of year I love cooking so much especially. Might have to try this over the upcoming weekend if I can.

Thanks for posting it,

Lauren

I'm thinking that reducing the milk, and adding fruit and walnuts would be FANTASTIC!

oh golly. I'm starting to get that "cooking for the holidays" thing going in my mind. :roll: I LOVE baking and pies and desserts and Christmas puddings and fruitcakes and....oh golly...

Back