Oh great...now syphilis? UPDATE: Now i'm not sure...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleFluffyBunnies

Reaction score
Ugh. Today when I was getting out my 4 month old doe for exercise I noticed she squeaked when I touched her rump. I checked her around the area to see what was wrong. I found some white stuff(looked like pus) on her vent(which I had seen the day before when I was grooming her, but I assumed it was just leftover mess from urine or something), as well as a scab by her mouth. There aren't any lesions on her vent. I fervently hope it is not syphilis, but from what I can see I don't know what else it could be. Is it syphilis?

If it is, I have no idea were to start. I know I would need penicillin, but what type and concentration? I hope I can find it. And then, dosage instructions? What size syringe and needle? How many treatments does she get? I will put her on quarantine now.

And then, do I have to treat the herd? The doe hasn't been bred, and hasn't had a lot of contact besides a sniff here and there and my handling her and then another. I do have a litter of kits and two pregnant does.

UPDATE:
It's been a couple days and after first seeing that white stuff it hasn't appeared again. Her vent is still clear of any other abnormalities and, while the small scab is still there(on the mouth), there aren't any more. Is it possible she had a different issue, and it isn't syphilis? Her cage does get really dirty, even if I clean it daily. I'm in the process of getting a new one. I'm wondering if she just got like an infection of some sort because of that? She never got any crusts, just some white stuff that has been gone for 2 days now. Should I still treat her or is she fine?

You want Pen G, and I think I just googled rabbit doage. You want the smallest needles and syringes you can fine, I think I got the 22 guage from tractor supply. I can look when I get home and maybe someone else will come on here and have some more info for you. So sorry, I sure hope its not what you think it is!!!!

at least the cure is relatively simple and it's not like snuffles or something that you'll never get rid of.

a quick google gave me a dosage of 0.8cc per lb. you can get the 3ml syringes at tractor supply or your local feed store usually. they're sold seperately from the needles - you'll get the smallest needle you can, which i think is usually 22g. it's a decent size for an adult rabbit. however, i think the needles you get there are absolute garbage and i often have to use far more force than necessary to inject the animal. i buy my syringes/needles from drs foster and smith and they are much higher quality, and come in more sizes, so i can get 26g needles for younger animals. but i use way more needles per year since i give my own vaccines to my pets and fosters.

giving an injection isn't too hard, just pinch the skin at the back of the neck between the shoulders and put the needle in parallel to the skin (so not straight down.) you don't want to get it in the muscle. you may want a friend to hold the animal in case it squirms. like i said, the cheap feed store needles seem to hurt a bit more than the vet grade ones. when you push the liquid in, sometimes you can see a bubble form under the skin. it's fine, give it a rub once you pull the needle out and it should disperse under the skin. give your bunny a carrot and she'll forget it ever happened :)

Thanks for the help.
There isn't pus today, but I am putting her on quarantine and keeping an eye on her.

I looked it up on Medirabbit, and it said that they need 4-6 doses at intervals of 5-7 days. Is that right? And does the antibiotic keep fine if I did that?
I sure hope I can find some. I'll maybe look in the feed shop and ask some people I know who breed horses.

Latest posts

Back