Off to freezer camp

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trinityoaks

Reaction score
Our litter of Cal-Zil crosses and our mini-lop cross buck are headed to freezer camp in a few minutes. DH's former co-worker is buying them for meat. Price: one butchered rabbit for our freezer.

Since these were being socialized for pets, I just don't think I could dispatch them myself. Don't think I'm going to try to raise for the pet market again. From now on, any rabbits not purebred or designated for show will be handled as livestock.

That will bring us down to our 9 breeders (3 Cals, 5 Zils, 1 Rex) plus four Cal intermediates. If I can't get those four sold by spring, they'll go to freezer camp as well. I want to be down to just breeders by the time we move next May.

well...congratulations on selling rabbits!!

I agree about raising for pet market. It's iffy in many places (like here where I live) and when you handle them and get to know the rabbits...it's hard to then send them to freezer camp.

I think if I had been less distracted, I would have been able to sell the crosses to a local feed store for pets. Unfortunately, I was in a car wreck just about the time the kits were old enough to sell, and it took me a while to recover, plus the logistical issues of being down to one vehicle made it difficult to get out of the house when I needed to.

I'm hoping the other four Cals will go to 4Hers wanting to show. We already sold four to 4Hers, and one of the buyers wants a buck next spring to breed with the doe they bought.

At any rate, we'll have a crock-pot-ready rabbit on Monday (probably won't cook it until after Thanksgiving). Time for me to go check the recipes section!

Latest posts

Back