Register

Odd Doe Behavior

Understand why your rabbits behave the way they do - and what you can do about it.
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 1,373.00

Odd Doe Behavior

Post Number:#1  Unread postby baefull.wolfbunnies » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:17 pm

Hey guys,

The last couple of days my Beveren Doe Blue Pouff has been acting weird. She has been exceptionally twitchy and grumpy, to the point of snapping at my arm (catching it through a sweatshirt and giving me a bunny bite sized bruise). Today I went out to give them their afternoon water and some sunflower seeds (the pouring sound you hear in the video) and she was making weird noises. I've only heard these types of noises from cavies and I'm curious as to what it means.

Both does have rather round bellies, but so does my buck; I think I'm just feeding them too much. I have massaged their bellies to stave off any gut stoppage. They got un-shucked/freezer-burned corn on the cob two days in a row and I've read that the husk can cause gut problems if eaten too often.

[youtube]http://youtube.com/DUidsPkrqzc[/youtube]

Can you guys see the video?
I absolutely love evee, the pokemon and all iterations of it remind me of rabbits and all the various breeds

Avid Gardener, 1 Cinnamon; Amos, 1 French Angora X Beveren doe; Blue Pouff, their daughter Latte, 1 Thrianta buck; Adobo

"I have loved the stars to fondly to be fearful of the night" Sarah Williams "The Old Astronomer"

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 5,248.00

Re: Odd Doe Behavior

Post Number:#2  Unread postby wamplercathy » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:40 pm

Nope

Post Number:#3  Unread postby baefull.wolfbunnies » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:19 pm

I absolutely love evee, the pokemon and all iterations of it remind me of rabbits and all the various breeds

Avid Gardener, 1 Cinnamon; Amos, 1 French Angora X Beveren doe; Blue Pouff, their daughter Latte, 1 Thrianta buck; Adobo

"I have loved the stars to fondly to be fearful of the night" Sarah Williams "The Old Astronomer"

Site Supporter
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 4,950.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby Zinnia » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:37 pm

Hormonal for sure. You sure her hutch mate is a doe, right?

Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 5,736.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby TF3 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:30 pm

It means "I'm cranky". LOL
I hear it when they are hormonal-- just bred and telling buck to get lost, feeling protective of kits, annoyed with me or another rabbit...
She is gorgeous!!
Last edited by MamaSheepdog on Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Duplicate post
Lori
Chief Rabbit Wrangler and Homeschooling Mom
(Fiber & Dye Artisan, too)
Flying Moon Farm
Standard Rex & Meat Mutts
Facebook & Instagram
South River, ON
est. 2015
"Learn something new every day" <--- 2015 Goal

Post Number:#6  Unread postby baefull.wolfbunnies » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:33 pm

Zinnia wrote:Hormonal for sure. You sure her hutch mate is a doe, right?

Ok. Hormonal I can deal with, sick I can't. The white one is a doe, the cinnamon is a buck. I am trying to do a colony of meat rabbits.

TF3 wrote:She is gorgeous!!

Thanks. I was told that she is a product of the previous owners attempt at breeding Angora's into their Beveren lines for disease resistance.

Would there be a reason that the other doe would be tugging on the other's tail?

Site Supporter
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership

Post Number:#7  Unread postby Zinnia » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:38 pm

Buck, doe and doe together? How long? She does sound like she's feeling the kind of hormonal that says she IS bred.... Nest box?

Post Number:#8  Unread postby baefull.wolfbunnies » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:11 pm

They've been together nearly two months, but I've had them on the property in sight and smell of eachother for nearly a year. I put a nest box in yesterday but so far just a lot of chin rubbing from all three. They've all been taking turns sitting either inside or near it.

Site Supporter

Post Number:#9  Unread postby Zinnia » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:13 pm

Maybe you'll start to see some haystaching soon!