Nz/Cali mix to a Satin/lop mix

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mountainrabbits

Reaction score
So I have a Californian/New Zealand mix buck and a Satin/Lop mix Steel colored doe, when they are bred to each other what do you think I might get? I'm wondering what colors I might get and what percentage of the doe's offspring will get lop ears when bred to a regular eared buck vs. a lop buck etc. she has a fair amount of ear control and I gather that's not wanted in lops but figured it might effect the percentage of lop babies...

mountainrabbits":gs6ecn3u said:
So I have a Californian/New Zealand mix buck and a Satin/Lop mix Steel colored doe, when they are bred to each other what do you think I might get? I'm wondering what colors I might get and [what percentage of the doe's offspring will get lop ears when bred to a regular eared buck] vs. a lop buck etc. she has a fair amount of ear control and I gather that's not wanted in lops but figured it might effect the percentage of lop babies...

I would say 0% will have Loped ears. Bred to a very good typed [not a crossbred Lop Buck
you may get one quarter% Loped. But I wouldn't count on it.
If you want Lop eared rabbits, your best bet is to purchase a good trio or pair
from a reputable breeder of the breed you are wishing to work with.
This will save alot of time and cage space.
As always, JMPO.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Thanks Ottersatin! I'm actually going to be breeding them for meat and keep the pelts if they look like hers. My dh fell in love at a local feed store with the doe...since he is the one helping me build cages when he asked for her I couldn't say no :oops: I wasn't intending on getting any lops even though I find them quite lovely-I think the ears would throw me off on freezer camp day (don't ask me why I don't really know...it's just floppy ears seem to get me) He wants to give her a chance at breeding and I told him we could try, but only for meat. She has a very fine boned almost snipey face, not very lop like at all. There were two of her litter mates at the feed store, one black lop eared buck and a broken red doe with normal ears. The buck had a much more thick looking head like a mini-lop and the other doe had had the same snipey fine boned head as the doe we brought home. I was thinking the snipey heads were a sign of very poor breeding and that I shouldn't keep any of her babies, just use them for freezer camp and fur as her coat is extraordinary...

__________ Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:36 am __________

Well I bred these two together and she kindled today! It looks like she had 3 black/dark kits and 2 white kits! Not what I was expecting at all :lol: But I'm very happy! She pulled a ton of hair two days before, cleaned up after herself quite well (afterbirth and such) fed them and covered them :D I honestly thought my buck was shooting blanks or that she was having a false pregnancy so this is a great surprise! Because I didn't think she took I put on a cat litter pan well scrubbed-it's one of the ones that is just a pan, not extra deep or with a hood-for a nestbox...so my question is 1) What on earth are my rabbits genetically that they had a black and white litter? And 2) When is it going to be safe to move the kits/nest into a real nestbox? Can I do it immediately? Or should I wait a few days?

5 live popples :up: not bad for a first breeding for both rabbits!

To be honest I don't really know for sure if she is a steel or really what you would call her :oops: she has a blue undercoat, looks black, but has silver ticking on the very ends of her hair shaft with a little tan ticking behind her head...I have no idea what she is but steel was a guess from looking at lop breeders websites that have different color picture examples...she doesn't really look like a chinchilla at all her ticking is too sparse comparatively and she's real dark-do they have a black chinchilla?

Back