Register

Now what? (delicate issue)

A place to discuss the particular challenges and ethical issues facing the breeder of pet rabbits today.
6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 34,175.00

Re: Now what? (delicate issue)

Post Number:#16  Unread postby akane » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:46 pm

You can delete facebook posts to your page. Some very very annoying person decided to rant on my page about how I treated them. He was messaging me every 4 hrs asking the same question until I answered. I asked him to stop and I would answer when I could. Then it took me a day and a half to check that facebook page. He set off on how I don't keep people informed (no one else has that complaint) and my rudeness asking him to stop mass messaging me. *delete* Problem solved. I keep my business page and half my buying resources on a separate account from the personal facebook page I use. Right now while my business page has the correct city the personal account it's connected to says our previous address. Nearly no connection between the 2 accounts. Sure if people really looked around facebook it wouldn't be too hard to connect that I'm running 2 accounts but they'd have to put in more effort than just clicking my name to come harass me.
http://s1321.beta.photobucket.com/user/takakageri/library/
Don't wonder why people go crazy. Wonder why they don't.

1 year of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 5,736.00

Post Number:#17  Unread postby TF3 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:03 pm

Following with interest!

I am trying to be honest and educate around meat but it is a balancing act, for sure (and we are planning to produce meat). I have had a few judgemental "another litter?" Or "another rabbit" comments on my personal page and have just said that we are operating a working rabbitry, not pets and left it at that LOL

I have already had the local teenage rabbit girl (who flogs her rabbits mercilessly and if you ever contact her she emails you non stop to try and sell you something) asking how I could ask $20 for my FG kits when she charges $10. In the spirit of education I asked her if she ever calculated feed costs for them? Or value as meat etc. and said folks can choose to pay what they want. I had no trouble selling at that price point.

Re. Pricing hecklers...

--too cheap cheapens your product, there is an association with higher price = better quality so you don't want to price yourself out but if you are willing to wait the right buyers will come.

I have had calls from across the province from my kijiji ad at $20 each because it seemed more legit than the $5 offers but obviously is not breeding or show stock.
Lori
Chief Rabbit Wrangler and Homeschooling Mom
(Fiber & Dye Artisan, too)
Flying Moon Farm
Standard Rex & Meat Mutts
Facebook & Instagram
South River, ON
est. 2015
"Learn something new every day" <--- 2015 Goal

The following user would like to thank TF3 for this post
Susie570

Site Supporter
2 years of membership2 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 6,198.00

Post Number:#18  Unread postby EnglishSpot » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:32 am

Susie570 wrote:
MamaSheepdog wrote:How about "Any unsold rabbits will have a home with me for their lifetime." You needn't say how long that life may be.

Sounds kind of hoarder-ish. Go easy on that rejoinder.
"Not doing anything is still making a choice."

Check out my rabbitry! http://www.facebook.com/SoaringGooseRabbits/

New Blog: https://soaringgooserabbits.wordpress.com/

1 year of membership
BunnyBucks: 12,899.00

Post Number:#19  Unread postby Susie570 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:51 am

EnglishSpot wrote:
Susie570 wrote:
MamaSheepdog wrote:How about "Any unsold rabbits will have a home with me for their lifetime." You needn't say how long that life may be.

Sounds kind of hoarder-ish. Go easy on that rejoinder.

:lol:
Mini Lops!!
If you love Lop Rabbits, come visit the Lop Rabbit forum at http://LopRabbitsUSA.com! See ya there!

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 87,487.00

Post Number:#20  Unread postby MamaSheepdog » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:16 am

Good point, English Spot!

Hmm... :thinking:

"All rabbits will have a home with me until I find them their proper placemat. I mean placement. *Ahem!* Darn autocorrect!" ;)
Victory Garden Rabbits

Proud new owner of the highly coveted Get-away-with-it-card! (Homer's gift to me in a feeble attempt to curry favor and avoid the ban hammer.)

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. - Thomas Jefferson

The following user would like to thank MamaSheepdog for this post
EnglishSpot

Site Supporter
BunnyBucks: 6,198.00

Post Number:#21  Unread postby EnglishSpot » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:33 am

Much better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Not doing anything is still making a choice."

Check out my rabbitry! http://www.facebook.com/SoaringGooseRabbits/

New Blog: https://soaringgooserabbits.wordpress.com/

1 year of membership

Post Number:#22  Unread postby Susie570 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:43 pm

LOL You folks are too funny ;)
Mini Lops!!
If you love Lop Rabbits, come visit the Lop Rabbit forum at http://LopRabbitsUSA.com! See ya there!

Female
BunnyBucks: 1,040.00

Post Number:#23  Unread postby fhjmom » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:24 pm

"I've posted ads to introduce my 'upcoming' Rabbitry and gotten a good bit of excitement from the local Pet market. I'm advertising 'Superior Designer Pet Rabbits, bred especially for Personality, Color and Health' as well as Purebred Mini Lops with potential Show Quality in the near future."

I am saying this as gently as possible, and in the spirit of education, but if you came to me with this ad and wanted to purchase stock to create "designer pet bunnies", I would not think you are a serious breeder. I would also be skeptical of the "purebred show stock". The reason I say this is that anyone who has been showing very long knows that the by-product of trying to create good show-quality rabbits is a surplus of non-showable/not-show-quality buns. We do sell pets, but we don't breed for them. We sell the ones that don't make it to the show table or brood pen as pets, and there have been way more pet quality than show/brood quality. It is the nature of the game if you are seriously breeding for improvement. If you want breeders in your area to take you seriously, then you may want to consider your goal as improvement and high-quality show stock (if that is your goal), and sell culls as pets - instead of appearing that "designer pets" is the goal. Of course you are free to take my thoughts or leave them. I just wanted to put another spin on why the breeders may be giving you some push back, and it isn't because of the fear of competition.
Tamara :)
Backstage Rabbitry
http://www.backstagerabbitry.com

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 34,175.00

Post Number:#24  Unread postby akane » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:57 pm

The designer bunnies statement does bother me. It may appeal to pet people but personally even if I were looking for a pet I would put you at the bottom of my list for that right there. "Designer" animals are usually a negative word to talk about breeding incompatible animals to make something odd and charge a ton of money for them when they have not been bred to a predictable outcome.
http://s1321.beta.photobucket.com/user/takakageri/library/
Don't wonder why people go crazy. Wonder why they don't.

1 year of membership

Post Number:#25  Unread postby Susie570 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:42 pm

I actually have backed off on the 'designer' thing, but still stressing the aspect of being bred for high quality pets, because that's what I'm in it for.

We truly don't have enough breeders in our area to worry about it. If I'm able to continue selling rabbits, it will be to the pet market, with all of its ups and downs, so I am breeding for 'pretty rabbits' who are excellent pets. They are not all purebred rabbits and I'm upfront about that. I do hope to breed for quality as well, but that will take some time. I have a very nice doe to work with and I will be getting a very nice buck when I find the right one. If they produce the occasional kit who looks nice enough, and I don't want to keep it as a breeder, I will offer it for sale to the show community and they can take it or leave it.

I do appreciate the feedback. :)
Mini Lops!!

1 year of membership
BunnyBucks: 5,865.00

Post Number:#26  Unread postby funnies50 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:27 pm

Lol!! Good one, MSD :lol:

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 56,195.00

Post Number:#27  Unread postby Miss M » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:30 pm

MamaSheepdog wrote:"All rabbits will have a home with me until I find them their proper placemat. I mean placement. *Ahem!* Darn autocorrect!" ;)

:rotfl:
Sithrah Farm - http://sithrahfarm.com/

We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
- James Madison

Site Supporter
BunnyBucks: 4,925.00

Post Number:#28  Unread postby Zinnia » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:20 am

You are all so clever!

I raise French Angora and cull a LOT of rabbits. My culls are our food. I have no problem culling hard and breeding for the best, healthiest stock while responsibly feeding my family. IMO, it is far less responsible to buy your meat from commercial sources.

I need to write down some of these clever comments so I can use them if need be. :lol:

The following user would like to thank Zinnia for this post
Susie570

1 year of membership
BunnyBucks: 5,865.00

Post Number:#29  Unread postby funnies50 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:19 am

MamaSheepdog wrote:Good point, English Spot!

Hmm... :thinking:

"All rabbits will have a home with me until I find them their proper placemat. I mean placement. *Ahem!* Darn autocorrect!" ;)

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 48,682.00

Post Number:#30  Unread postby skysthelimit » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:25 pm

Susie570 wrote:
I am breeding for 'pretty rabbits' who are excellent pets. They are not all purebred rabbits and I'm upfront about that. I do hope to breed for quality as well, but that will take some time.
If they produce the occasional kit who looks nice enough, and I don't want to keep it as a breeder, I will offer it for sale to the show community and they can take it or leave it.

I like what you just said here. As a show breeder, I find that acceptable. You are breeding because you enjoy it, with a goal of temperament, and then beauty, but you also plan to be mindful of breed conformation. You have a plan for those you don't keep as well.

to be honest, as a show, fur/fiber, then meat breeder, temperament is not #1 on my list. It's reason #2 why I rarely sell pets, my rabbits aren't pet material. Some one has to fill the need. Mostly it's by show breeders and their culls, but also by people who aren't directly interested in showing that responsibly breed whatever they breed.
German Shepherds*Rush Hour Rabbitry*Rex *Jersey Wooly*French Angora
http://www.foursquaremicrofarm.us

The following user would like to thank skysthelimit for this post
HOWsMom

PreviousNext