Register

HELP Doe Still Not Kindling!

Addressing the special needs of the breeding doe and her kits. Includes nutrition, gestation, nest boxes and materials, and tips to ensure survival of the young.
BunnyBucks: 20.00

HELP Doe Still Not Kindling!

Post Number:#1  Unread postby raerae1000 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:11 am

My miniature lop doe is on her 32 day of pregnancy, yesterday she delivered one kit (which died) but hasn't delivered anymore. I can feel kicks from at least one maybe two kits still inside, though I am concerned to why she hasn't had them yet. She is eating and drinking great, no problems in the toiletry department, she doesn't seem to be stressed or acting out of the norm and she was pretty active earlier. I haven't seen her contracting or trying to push. Around 6-7 hours after finding the dead kit, she started ripping out extra fur for her nest. I have given her 1-2 hours of roaming time, kale, parsley and plenty of hay. That's all the information I can think of.
I can't contact my vet at this current moment of time so any help is greatly appreciated!

Site Admin
8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 59,378.00

Re: HELP Doe Still Not Kindling!

Post Number:#2  Unread postby MaggieJ » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:03 am

It doesn't sound like she is in distress, thank goodness. Sometimes, if for some reason, the doe is interrupted or startled during kindling, she will put things on hold, even into the next day.

Is she a first timer? How many kits does a mini lop generally have?

What I would suggest is to give her a calcium boost. A favourite way to do this is to feed her a TUMS antacid tablet. It can be a generic brand, of course, but it must be calcium based. The fruit flavours tend to be more popular with rabbits, but any will do.

Good luck with her. Hope to hear in the morning that she has successfully finished kindling and all is well. :good-luck:

The following user would like to thank MaggieJ for this post
raerae1000

BunnyBucks: 20.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby raerae1000 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:10 am

This is her second litter, she lost all of the first litter because she had them scattered around her hutch and froze to death (I didn't get to them in time), Each litter my Buns have had have either been 4 or 5 with a casualty.
If she doesn't have them tonight I'll definatly get her some calcium tablets x

Thank you for your help, it is a relief that its not a very uncommon case in rabbits. I'll Keep You Updated :D

United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 330.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby UFCreel » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:13 am

Try feeding her some Raspberry leaves. I just lost a litter of 3 due to them being born late also on day 33.

United States of America
BunnyBucks: 1,187.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby Maleficent » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:49 am

It's actually not unheard of for a doe to go to day 40. It's not a hard and fast rule that they MUST birth on day 31.