Not a Problem - A Thank You

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JudyM

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
To all of you who have posted questions and to all who have responded! If it wasn't for this site my little doe, well big doe, and all her now-due kits would not be here or would not be doing too well. And it was such a simple thing.

I noticed Sunday and maybe Saturday, that Darla moved her nest box around. It stayed that way so I figured she put it where she wanted it. Last evening when I went in to feed her I noticed that she hadn't eaten any of her pellets. I feed primarily pellets and treat them with plantain, dandelion, etc. so it was a concern. I turned the nest box around so I could look in as she was due to kindle and that's when I noticed that she had covered up the water spigot with the nest box. Oh my. She had gone 48 hours or more without water.

My problem was solved. She wasn't eating because she wasn't drinking and if it wasn't for RT I would be looking at a very ill or dead bunny(ies).

I am at work so I haven't been able to see if she kindled during the night. My buns are on my son's property so I go after work every day. I hope that being without food and water didn't damage the fetuses... At least I have Darla.

Again, thank you!

So glad you figured out the problem in time. I doubt the kits were damaged if the doe is okay.

A reminder to all who use water bottles to check the nozzle daily to make sure it is functioning. I had a hamster when I was a kid and once his bottle malfunctioned. I caught it in time, but after that I always touched the nozzle when I fed him to make sure it was working. A good habit to get into. :)

JudyM, about your nest box. It it is light-weight enough for the doe to move it, it may also be tippy--which can spell disaster for the kits. A couple of holes punched in the side of it and zip-tied or wired to the cage wall can prevent this.

Oh, I hadn't thought about it tipping! It's from Bass but still - I sure don't want her to block the water again or to tip!

She's doing well! And so are her ELEVEN kits!! I bred a first timer a couple of days after Darla in case the new Mama, Barbie, gets confused. She should kindle in the next 24 hours. Hopefully I'll be able to foster on Barbie instead of the other way around!

Just an update - I miscounted, Darla had TWELVE kits! Poor baby, and it's so hot! One didn't make it and one is a runt so I'm supplementing for the first time.

Barbie had nine yesterday! All are doing well. Won't be able to foster on her like I planned. Best laid plans... I guess you have to let the buns know the plans! :D

:congratulations:

Darla and Barbie really did well! You may lose the runt, but eleven kits is still a huge litter. You may want to give the does a spoonful of BOSS (black oil sunflower seeds), some oatmeal and some parsley to help with their milk supply.

Latest posts

Back