Nose markings and false Charlie

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BelleVie

Reaction score
Hello, I am looking at a broken castor Buck to purchase - he has the desired percentage of color, but he is missing the nose markings-it is solid white - but his ears and eyes have the appropriate markings. His mom is a false Charlie castor with a full butterfly, and his sire is a solid black otter. Does anyone have any insight regarding the modifiers that cause false Charlie pattern? And how the resulting kit could be missing the nose markings?

I'm wondering how I would breed over time to improve this - their overall body and fur type would make it worthwhile. I have the opportunity to purchase the dam as well...

Nose markings and false Charlie are genetic traits that are hard to breed out. False Charlie especially. If you are wanting to use him in a program, I'd keep his line in your solids, avoiding brokens altogether

Thanks, I was planning to use him on solids only. I'm just curious if anyone knows any genetic info regarding what causes false Charlies.

I actually just had this happen with a couple of my current rabbits -- I have a nice broken blue otter doe with correct markings who, when bred to my solid black otter buck just threw the following kits:

2 Black (1 doe 1 buck)
2 Black Otter (2 does)
1 Broken Black doe (nice markings)
2 Broken Black Otter bucks (false charlies)

I know that my buck carries and strongly passes on the little 'c' gene so I'm wondering if that gene may be affecting the color output (Just a theory obviously - probably wrong)?

It'd be nice to know what modifiers can actually contribute to that outcome. Especially when I would think that the brokens resulting from that pairing should have had more color, not less.

It's a polygenetic trait, the genes that cause it don't have names. They aren't especially tied to any of the color genes - the c gene has no effect on it. Solid rabbits have the modifiers too but you can't see their effect because the rabbit is already solid. So the solids may actually have all the modifiers to make false Charlie, which why solid x broken breeding can get such variation in broken pattern. You don't know what the solid's pattern is. Is that what were asking? Or about, like, how the genes make a false Charlie?

Latest posts

Back