No sneezing but white crusts around nose?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shea

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I'm kind of lost here. Haven't run into any illness yet with my herd till now.
Keller my herd sire has been a house bunny for a good 6 months now. I noticed this morning he hadnt touched his feed, very unusual. And last night/day before he didnt want to come out of his cage. Just now I found white crusts around both nostrils. Looked like hardened marshmallow, and he is still off his feed and seems lethargic. Yet I havent heard any sneezing and his forepaws are clear. No major change in diet though I did give him a little bit of foddered wheat that was grown for some grow outs, but he does have free range of the house for a bit every day.
I did a thorough clean of his cage and set him up with a bowl of oats and hay w/some pellets. I will be quarentineing from the rest of my herd but what else can/should I do?

He hasnt drank anything since I refilled his water bottle yesterday, and I had put in a small dish of molasses water as well to try and tempt him. Will try to syringe some water into him on my lunch break.

-- Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:13 am --

michaels4gardens":3uut56ac said:
I would treat for infection, and hope it is a respiratory illness, other than pasturella ... [and of course quarantine]
I have some baytril on hand, but Im fairly certain that is more for abscesses then possible a respiratory infection.

-- Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:24 am --

Well im wrong on that count. I will start him on some baytril when I get home. Prolly will crush up and syringe feed with molasses water. <br /><br /> -- Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:47 am -- <br /><br /> Update: He is doing much better this morning. He perked up some yesterday evening wether it was from the baytril, or time Im not sure.
No more signs of nasal discharge. He ate some parsley and fresh greens I picked up for him. He is drinking again and passing some stool though they are tiny and few.

Latest posts

Back