New Zealand litter

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moonkitten

Reaction score
I'm very pleased to announce that my very first Broken New Zealand litter arrived on New Year's. :clap2: All six kits are doing well -- 4 broken blacks and 2 blacks.

Yes, I know pics are required, but it's soooo cold out there :no: Maybe later.

Sadly, the singleton kit from Monday did not survive long enough to be fostered to the new litter. Although I was force-nursing him from 2 does with 18 day old litters, he couldn't seem to get enough milk to keep his strength up and died shortly before the next litter was born :weep:

thanks for the update
sad for you and single

thrilled for the new years litter - talk about starting the new year with a BANG!

That's sad about the singleton, Moonkitten. I was hoping he'd be able to hang in there until the next litter was born. You certainly gave him his best chance.

Congrats on the broken NZ litter! That's great!

:mbounce:

FYI,
I've read a lot of places where people have said that hand raised kits need to be stimulated to pee or they will explode. Well, the singleton kit definitely had no such need. As soon as it latched onto one of the does, it would FORCEFULLY vacate its bladder all on its own. :eek: And this was a newborn kit, not one several weeks old. I'm not saying that one should never help stimulate hand-raised kits, just saying it may not be as necessary as is often believed.

that's interesting - and a noteworthy observation

my experience with kittens and puppies isn't that they explode but they do stop nursing as well and can get cold .. I can't say it often enough... warmth is the number one key to keeping an orphan alive

Brody":3v4a9h4j said:
I can't say it often enough... warmth is the number one key to keeping an orphan alive

Yes, I think that was part of the problem. Having a house full of hunter dogs and cats, I took the singleton out to the barn to feed. But as cold as it is, I think he got chilled before he could get sufficient milk from the does I was holding on the table for him, and just stopped suckling too soon. I might have had better success if it was warmer out, or if I could have kept him in the nest of fur. Without a doe willing to feed him, I had to hold her on the table and let him crawl from nipple to nipple.<br /><br />__________ Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:25 pm __________<br /><br />Ok, here's my first attempt to post pics here... :?

View attachment broken2.jpg

moonkitten":k3w8i5d4 said:
FYI,
I've read a lot of places where people have said that hand raised kits need to be stimulated to pee or they will explode. Well, the singleton kit definitely had no such need. As soon as it latched onto one of the does, it would FORCEFULLY vacate its bladder all on its own. :eek: And this was a newborn kit, not one several weeks old. I'm not saying that one should never help stimulate hand-raised kits, just saying it may not be as necessary as is often believed.

It usually just takes a warm wet touch to get them started... sort of like running the faucet for your kid :)

wow awsome brokens1<br /><br />__________ Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:56 pm __________<br /><br />Out of curiosity.. How were the brokens developed? They look more "spotted" than a typical broken pattern and the insides of their ears are white.I love the spotted type brokens, look like a dalmation lol

Thanks all for the comments!

The broken CD was held by Dave Mangione who started by crossing a broken satin to get the 'en' gene, but didn't like the results, so then he started again with a broken black rex. I'm sure other NZ breeders may have used satins or other breeds just to get the correct gene into their herd. My buck is from a line of NZ that was also crossed with a broken rex several generations back.

I'll have to check out everyone's brokens at the next show. My black NZ have white skin in the ears, so I wasn't surprised to see that on the brokens as well. I'll have to see if that's just a NZ trait or if anyone else has white ear insides.

How do you see a black tattoo if the skin is black? :?

lol I meant the fur is white. Our black rabbit's skin is white too but the fur inside is black, although it just goes around the edges a bit. Thats intersting about the Rex cross. They do have a similar body type, don't know much about the satins tho.

They are adorable little Popples Moonkitten! Congratulations! Such Fridgid temp's everywhere so they must be staying warm & full! Sorry about the single. My mom lost a single last week, I think 1 isn't enough to stay warm-no one to snuggle with.

Can we say popple here?

Latest posts

Back