New trio

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bridget118

Reaction score
I have just purchased 2 newzeland size mutt females both are broken. One is self black and the other may be chinchilla. I believe both are roughly 4 years old. My male is a chestnut rex roughly 9 months old. They have settled into their cages nicely and have passed a visual health check. For the past few days I have put the females in the males cage, one at a time for breeding. The broken black self female had him chasing her around the cage and then needed to be seperated due to her starting to bite him. The broken chinchilla females doesn't want much to do with him and he feels the same about her. How long do I keep trying? <br /><br /> -- Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:09 pm -- <br /><br /> Could the male rex be too small for the felames? I'm guessing he is 7 lbs and they could be 12lbs just an estimate.

The buck is not too small, if the does will cooperate.

The does will "cycle" in and out of optimum breeding condition/ readiness.
When the inner vulva color changes from light pink to purple, it is more likely that they will accept breeding.

Although rabbits are technically ...."always" able to conceive after breeding [because they are induced ovulators .. IE: breeding stimulates ovulation]
.....You will have a much greater chance of a successful breeding if you breed when the vulva is purple, or purple tinged.

Great information. So just keep at it then will do. I spoke with all of the previous owners and the females have not been bred but the male has. Does the Ford age play a part at all? How old is too old?

If they have not had litters and are 4 years old, you may have some trouble getting them bred.
What is the condition if the does? are they fat or lean? Does who have not had litters often have a fat build up inside, that makes getting them bred difficult. You may need to build a small play yard outside, [If you live in a place with grass this time of year] and let them frollic a little with the buck and doe together, often the excitement of new grass and dirt will get the does in the mood.

If they have not had litters and are 4 years old, you may have some trouble getting them bred.
What is the condition if the does? are they fat or lean? Does who have not had litters often have a fat build up inside, that makes getting them bred difficult. You may need to build a small play yard outside, [If you live in a place with grass this time of year] and let them frollic a little with the buck and doe together, often the excitement of new grass and dirt will get the does in the mood.

At the moment there is only snow to be seen no glass at all. The Does are a bit over weight. They are on a diet at the moment. I will hopefully be getting a young doe in the next few weeks hopefully we will have better luck with her. We will keep trying with the old does

-- Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:00 am --

I have attempted to breed both does each day roughly twice a day with no luck thus far. The buck has started to bite both does and has been smelling their heads and bums. After chasing and biting a biting he seems uninterested and lays down. I'll keep you posted... <br /><br /> -- Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:12 pm -- <br /><br /> At this point I believe my buck is getting frustrated. Both does enter his cage and flee from him hiding their heads in a corner and at the start stomping. The buck has started to bite their shoulders and rip out for. The does will not budge. Is there anything I can do to get the does in the mood? :D

Try putting them in a larger area, this gives the male a chance to woo the girls and for them to check him out as well

I use a puppy play pen that's roughly 5' in diameter when set up, the circle means the girls cannot hide in a corner

I also just put them on the floor of my rabbit room, but that's 10x10 and really has too much room for the girls to escape, so I only use the floor when I know the doe is receptive

I have to say it is the same donv and dance. I have given them a couple of days to cool down. Then put the females back with the male. They stomp he bites them and then nothing. The females laydown and he will sniff their ears anc bite them. I recently bought a 3 month old female. If the two older females don't work out in a few months i have a back up plan. I'll be adding apple cider vinegar to the girls water and letting them romp in a larger area next. <br /><br /> -- Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:14 pm -- <br /><br /> I have traded the two broken does for a red and a black doe. Wish me luck and we will see how these do. The black doe is right about 6 months. She needs to fatten up a bit before breeding and the red doe came already bred. Fingers crossed the breeding took. She seems to be gaining weight and eating a bit more.

Back