Register

New to the board

Site News, Announcements, Posting Guidelines and Introductions.
Site Supporter
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 2,300.00

New to the board

Post Number:#1  Unread postby HOWsMom » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:59 am

Hello everyone !

I'm a SAHM from Ontario, Canada posting here on behalf of my daughter, since the board wouldn't let her register herself :D

She is looking for her first bunny, and I'm being the big, bad mom making her research and plan and save her money before she gets one.

I hope that this board will be helpful to us as we navigate through and gain information and probably more questions too!

:bunnyhop:
George (black Dutch), Chaos (Brk. Choc MR buck), Fionn (REW MR buck), Ballach (Brk. Black Mini Rex doe), Snowberry (REW MR buck) & Whiteout (REW MR doe)

Also home to 1 dog, some kids and a husband

Missing Mischief

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 3,504.00

Re: New to the board

Post Number:#2  Unread postby DBA » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:13 am

Welcome, and I think what you are doing makes you a great mother. But don't feel bad, I'm usually the big bad mean dad.

Any ideas on what variety of rabbit?

Site Supporter
Canada Female

Post Number:#3  Unread postby HOWsMom » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:17 am

She is interested in a few breeds :
- Rex
- Holland Lop
- Dutch

She had the opportunity to see many breeds in person at a recent ARBA sanctioned rabbit show nearby, and found a special fondness for a small rex kit.

She is taking on a paper route to make money to buy the needed supplies and save up for her bunny.
George (black Dutch), Chaos (Brk. Choc MR buck), Fionn (REW MR buck), Ballach (Brk. Black Mini Rex doe), Snowberry (REW MR buck) & Whiteout (REW MR doe)

Missing Mischief

Site Supporter
6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 6,353.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby EnglishSpot » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:45 am

Welcome to RT HOWsMom and HOWs!! My daughter is also on this board (elementary school) and I know there are others of school age that come here. This is a great place to learn about rabbits!! Enjoy enjoy enjoy!!
"Not doing anything is still making a choice."

Check out my rabbitry! http://www.facebook.com/SoaringGooseRabbits/

New Blog: https://soaringgooserabbits.wordpress.com/

Site Supporter
Canada Female

Post Number:#5  Unread postby HOWsMom » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:17 am

She has months to years to research and prepare yet.

One - she needs the funds.

Two - we have a large cage with degus in it where the bunny cage will be.

Missing Mischief

BunnyBucks: 5,920.00

Post Number:#6  Unread postby funnies50 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:26 pm

Welcome HOWsMom! You're all going to love it here...
I had to earn my bunny, too. ;)

The following user would like to thank funnies50 for this post
HOWsMom

Site Supporter
Canada Female

Post Number:#7  Unread postby HOWsMom » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:15 am

My "big bad mom" thinking is that my daughter will be more appreciative of her pet if she has to earn it.

And by doing her research, she'll be be able to take better care of her pet properly, and it will likely live longer for her.

Missing Mischief

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 4,787.00

Post Number:#8  Unread postby katiebear » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:27 am

I believe you are correct HOWsmom, All people no matter the age respect what they earn much more than what is handed to them...You are giving your child so much more than a pet you are giving them a work ethic...as the mother of two adults I can tell you that this is a necessity, both are in their 30s and it is rare in their age group..at least from what they tell me.. :)
Oh and welcome to rabbit talk...

The following user would like to thank katiebear for this post
HOWsMom

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 87,563.00

Post Number:#9  Unread postby MamaSheepdog » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:59 am

HOWsMom wrote:My "big bad mom" thinking is that my daughter will be more appreciative of her pet if she has to earn it.

And by doing her research, she'll be be able to take better care of her pet properly, and it will likely live longer for her.

Absolutely! We value things more when they are not just handed to us.

My son Colliepup bought his Aussie for $300 when he was nine. He had some of the cash up front, but had to work off the rest of it for us.

I love hearing of parents that actually make their kids earn the things they want. Good job!
Victory Garden Rabbits

Proud new owner of the highly coveted Get-away-with-it-card! (Homer's gift to me in a feeble attempt to curry favor and avoid the ban hammer.)

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. - Thomas Jefferson

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Female
BunnyBucks: 18,991.00

Post Number:#10  Unread postby Bad Habit » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:30 pm

I think I recall talking to you at the show(I remember someone saying something to their daughter about "after the degus," anyway, lol!!

Welcome to RT, it's a great place to learn!
Bad Habit Rabbits
Just like a Bad Habit, I can't make myself quit rabbits ;)
Visit My Website
Like Me on Facebook

11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 56,231.00

Post Number:#11  Unread postby Miss M » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:05 pm

HOWsMom wrote:My "big bad mom" thinking is that my daughter will be more appreciative of her pet if she has to earn it.

Couldn't agree more! :)

Welcome to RabbitTalk! I'm also a SAHM, and a homeschooler. My kids have been members here since they were 8 and 13 (just a couple of months after RT was started). There is a wealth of information here, a search function in the right sidebar, and lots of great members who are always willing to answer questions no matter how basic or complex! :)
We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
- James Madison

Site Supporter
Canada Female

Post Number:#12  Unread postby HOWsMom » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:38 pm

Miss M - we are also homeschoolers !

Missing Mischief

BunnyBucks: 87,563.00

Post Number:#13  Unread postby MamaSheepdog » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:25 pm

HOWsMom wrote:Miss M - we are also homeschoolers !

Us too!

There are a whole bunch of home schoolers on RT, and even members who are homeschoolees!
Victory Garden Rabbits

Proud new owner of the highly coveted Get-away-with-it-card! (Homer's gift to me in a feeble attempt to curry favor and avoid the ban hammer.)

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. - Thomas Jefferson

Site Supporter
Canada Female

Post Number:#14  Unread postby HOWsMom » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:41 pm

That's cool. I'm lucky that there are a lot of homeshooling families nearby, but for the most part, it's still fairly rare I think.

Missing Mischief

BunnyBucks: 5,920.00

Post Number:#15  Unread postby funnies50 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:54 pm

I'm homeschooled, too. ;)

The following user would like to thank funnies50 for this post
HOWsMom

Next