new to the biz...... help!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabbitfever88

Reaction score
i have recently aquired 30 rabbits, and thanx to this site created three wonderfull colonys after selling several rabitts. i have sexed and sepetated my rabs but am having an isue with something. i seem to be having females humping females and im wondering if this is normal or should i be worried that i have wrongly sexed n seperated allthou im a simple farmer i do beleive i have the obvious abillity to tell the the diferance between the two lol so any ideas? any input would be greatly appreciated thanx

:welcomewagon:

Hi Rabbitfever! Welcome to the forum!

By your user name, I can see that you are not suffering in denial as some our members who are stricken with Rabbitosis are. :)

The does are likely trying to establish a dominance hierarchy. Watch for excessive fur flying as rabbits can and do hurt one another at times.

I think this thread would do better in the Colony section since your rabbits are housed that way, and it is rather a specialized category that those of us who cage raise will not be able to help with as much as those who have colony experience. I will move it there for you so you will get better input. :)

thanx zass, and thanx momma and your. like i said im new to this site and im online via stupid.... i mean smart phone so its hard to figure out for me. but iv found it. sorry. and thanks for the welcome everyone.<br /><br />__________ Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:53 pm __________<br /><br />i ment to put right after your. sry

No need to apologize, RF88. Your post could have stayed where it was, but I wanted to make sure the people who could help the most would see it. :)

RT is the first forum I ever joined, and it took me a LONG time to find my way around it. I am a total Techno-Peasant, so of all people, I understand! :lol:

hey moma what kind of rabbit is the white and black spotted in your pics called, i have one that looks identical, hes a buck, and the only one like that i have. is their a place i can look up the diffrent kinds i have by color?<br /><br />__________ Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:39 pm __________<br /><br />nvr mind i found the fourum

Welcome, Rabbitfever! :welcomewagon:

As the others have said, it is normal among does. Just as chickens do establish an actual "pecking order", rabbits establish hierarchy by doing what you have seen. Weird, but it is what it is.

A doe will also do it to a buck, to show him who's boss.

I have seen doe hump other doe when the doe is in heat.

It is possible you have a buck in with the does. Do you know anyone
with rabbits close by who could help you and double check the sexes.

I have been doing rabbits quite awhile and I double check a lot.
Years ago, I bought a flemish rabbit home and was told it was a doe.
Acted like a doe too. Put a buck in with it one day and what a ruckus.
I checked the flemish and came to conclusion it was a buck.
Used him on my sweet flemish doe and the babies turned out mean like Dad.
Dad went to the meat marked. I ALWAYS double check now. I don't like surprises.

i dont know anyone who has rabbits even tho i sell rabbit feed at the feed store i run for my boss on the weekend, nobodys come in with rabits since iv acuired them

Welcome to RT, RF88!

I think quite a few of us have been hit by the Sex Change Fairy. I know I was surprised when Rocky and Bullwinkle had a litter of popples. There are a couple of sexing threads here on RT with some good pictures. I would take another look at those and your buns. And feel free to post pics of any you are wondering about for a second (and third...and fourth) opinion.

(I lived in central MS for quite a few years- curious as to what part of the state you're in)

Back