New to rabbits need advice on colony

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BQuarles

Reaction score
New to raising rabbits here. I'm purchasing my first group next week. I'm wanting to do an indoor colony which will be two rooms in my barn both are approximately 10x10 ft. Ive heard the down fall of colonies is the does wont get along. Can anyone give me advice on how i should set it up? Anything I can do to help keep the peace?

There are a couple of ways to make peace more likely. :)

One, buy your does young and from the same litter. Or at least young. The younger, the better, especially if they're from different litters. 8 weeks, or maybe a smidge earlier if your state allows.

Two, buy one doe already bred, or breed her when she's old enough (you are more likely to have your best success with a younger doe). Raise a couple of does from her litter in the colony to be your other breeding does.

Three, provide hiding spots for the does, so they can get away from each other.

Most colonies seem to keep the buck separate.

Welcome to RabbitTalk! :welcomewagon:

BQuarles":354y9r0j said:
Thank you how many does should i put in a 10x10 space

I would say no more than two does in a space that size. Don't forget that it doubles as grow-out space for the litters. My rabbit colony was 8 x 8 and two does and a buck plus kits worked fine. More than that meant problems. Adding vertical space - "furniture" and shelves around the walls, etc. helps. <br /><br /> __________ Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:37 pm __________ <br /><br /> You might find this thread with pictures of my colony helpful.
pictures-of-nest-tunnels-in-colony-t2903.html

I posted a lot in late 2010 and early 2011 about the progress during the set-up and first few months of the colony, including several threads on troubleshooting. You can check back posts for that time frame if you are interested.

Hope this is helpful. :)

Back