new to rabbits, considering a colony in the basement

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Echobird

Reaction score
I'm thinking about raising a meat breed of rabbit in my basement. Anyone have suggestions for easy cleaning for this set up. The basement floor is concrete and I would prefer not to have the rabbits on a wired floor. The space is about 5' x 14' and there will be at least one divider to seperate the buck from the rest of the colony when needed.
Thanks!

linoleum (vinyl flooring) that runs up on the walls, and a WHOLE LOTTA shavings...? Theory being keep them very dry...Bunny pee STINKS, just so you are aware, I wouldn't want it impregnating the cement with its funk...You will have to clean religiously to keep the smell down I think.

My rabbits are outside in the yard, and the neighbors can sometimes smell them, luckily they like me...

I don't recommend the idea of a colony in the basement. Eco2pia's idea of linoleum may help, but long term the smell is going to get into the concrete. Sealing it before starting may help some. If the rabbits were trained to use a litter box like a cat (not as difficult as it sounds) it would help a lot. They will still poop wherever but it is the urine that causes the problem.

The other issue that comes to mind is ventilation. Rabbits need lots of air. You will likely need an exhaust fan all year round, although you should only need to run it periodically in winter. Is the basement humid in summer? If so, you may need a dehumidifier to keep the rabbits comfortable and combat mould in their bedding.

Cheap linoleum or those rubber mats on the roll they sell by the foot at some feed stores would be a good idea. Use pine pellets under the shavings. My colonies are on rubber mats. I have bucks in cages so I spread pine pellets under the cages and then in front of the feeders for the colony and cover the rest in shavings. I do the same with indoor cages that have a solid floor. Pine pellets in important areas, scatter a few handfuls through the rest, and then cover it in an inch or 2 of shavings. My house and barn don't smell like rabbit pee at all and there are 30 something rabbits outside and have been as many at 8 inside. We also raised a couple litters in the basement one year and there has never been any smell. It helps we run a dehumidifier downstairs and a fan but we started doing that anyway because of water seepage in the spring.

Yes, the basement is somewhat humid. I keep the door open a lot in spring, summer and fall, but winter, not so much. I'm thinking I can add a box fan at the door to help if needed. There are two small windows as well. Dehumidifiers are not cheap to run, but until I see how things go I may have to use one.
I think the litter box is a great idea.

I have 9 rabbits in my basement(12 if you include my new babies) - they are all in plastic bottom floored cages, I scoop their litter boxes every other day and do complete cage cleanings once a week... if I miss doing the boxes, or miss the weekly cleaning, it can get a little smelly, but over all, it doesn't stink... We also take the rabbits outside a couple times a week... We are going to get a large enclosed area outside where they can just spend a few hours a day but haven't got that done yet... it will help too because the more time they are outside, they less time they are peeing in their cages! LOL<br /><br />__________ Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:09 pm __________<br /><br />Oh, forgot to mention.... I use recycled paper pellets(like Yesterdays News cat litter) for the litter boxes, they swell up but do not disintegrate like the pine pellets... I also use soft wood bedding for their flooring... it works good to absorb any urine if they don't use the box, or in my case, the water bottles that they keep breaking! grr.... hehe

Um, you will need to separate the basement and install a vent, or at least install a separate exit POWER vent, that'll cost a bit more on your heating bill, but it helps pull the MOISTURE (wood rot) and ammonia out of the house. I would build a raised and TILTED floor designed to drain and water proof etc. under it, so a raised linoleum floor on top of epoxy sealed concrete.

Back