new summer chicken quarters

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rainey

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Last year I posted about raising the day old chicks we got from the local feed store without a heat lamp or chick starter. As soon as we dared get them outside we set up a compost pile to which the chicks always had access but we had to move their small coop around it and then move the run which was on the other side of the coop from the compost. Even with a small coop it was hard to move and the compost area was smaller than ideal.
This winter the chicks, now grown up and laying, moved into a new winter coop that was part of the new barn we built last year. We just moved them yesterday into new summer quarters. (Spring is arriving early here in mid-state NY this year after a very late start last year.) This time we have an 8 foot by 8 foot compost area. I wove the panels to cover the top out of old sunflower stalks and pliant whips I cut out of a thicket growing up in an area where large trees were recently cut. The coop is the old 8 foot by 6 foot shed that housed our rabbit cages from when we started in 2014 until last summer when they moved into a section of the new barn (much larger--room for more cages :) ) The shed is predator proof for the chickens overnight and should have adequate ventilation even though the door that was left open during daylight for the rabbits has to be kept shut for the hens. As soon as the grass starts to grow we'll put the 5' by 10' run on by one of the doors from the compost area and they'll have access to that too. There are doors to open for 7 different positions for the run--then I hope the grass will have recovered in the first section. And the run is very lightweight, easy to move, even for one whose back is old and often tired :)
The hens seem happy and I hope we won't have to build anything else for them for a few years.

Attachments

• IMG_9107.jpg
    IMG_9107.jpg
    612.1 KB · Views: 1,558
  • IMG_9112.jpg
    IMG_9112.jpg
    557.9 KB · Views: 1,558
  • IMG_9113.jpg
    IMG_9113.jpg
    464.6 KB · Views: 1,558
Very nice! :)

You may need to run a piece of eavestrough along the low side of the house to keep the run from being flooded. It could fill a rain barrel to be used for gardening or for a kiddie pool for ducks or geese.

I hadn't thought of the problem the water from the roof might be. Should get an idea this week as rain is forecast for most days. That area under the lower roof edge is a compost area and the run will be open off that, moved to different doors every day or two to keep them from completely tearing up the ground. Right now there isn't much in the compost area but as it builds up, perhaps it will absorb the water that drains off :? or maybe not.

I know many folks free range their chickens, but we have so many predators. (Yesterday afternoon I watched a mink bounding along the back side of the pond) I know the chicken wire won't keep predators out, but when the chickens are inside it, they've always been safe during the day. And at night they are in the more secure coop. But if they are allowed to roam and get into any of the various edges, mink, foxes, raccoons etc can easily pick them off. So we keep trying to come up with something that has most of the benefits of free range without the danger.

Nicely done! We have ours moved into a new coop, and I thought it had been long enough to go ahead and let them out yesterday. NOPE :lol: :evil: . Had to herd chickens as I saw them starting to roost in the old area...

I might steal the run idea. I want to be able to section off areas, but was trying to decide the best way to do that with the coop they just moved into. I didn't know if I needed a moveable chute coming off of the elevated coop or what... but your secondary fenced in area with doors coming off of it might be the ticket. Mine were free ranging and predators were (thankfully) not a huge issue... but my gardens will be, not to mention I am about tired of them pooping all over the place! Including sidewalks, porch/deck, kids play area, etc.

I understand your concerns about predators, Rainey, but we have similar predators here and we have free-ranged chickens and geese in the daytime (locked up at night) since 2004. I can count our daytime losses on one hand. We have lost far more (though still not all that many) to predators that managed to get into the buildings at night.

A rooster or goose running with the hens is a good deterrent or at least good to give the alarm.

Just a quick update on our chicken set-up. Thought I had it all figured out, but it has been quite dry here so far this spring and the movable run didn't have enough areas for them to grow out before we used them again. So Zachary made an extender out of a roll of 16" wide 1x2 rabbit wire he picked up at an auction for $10. It lets us reach more territory. Hope now we're set for the summer and won't have to make any more changes. The chickens weren't sure about going through it the first time but they soon became comfortable with it and it seems sturdy enough to hold up to being moved.

Attachments

• IMG_9225.jpg
    IMG_9225.jpg
    671 KB · Views: 1,497
Back