New Setup

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truckinguy

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Well, this is my latest mad scientist experiment. It seems to be working well so far, it keeps the poops away from the urine so they're dry and the urine drains away. No more poo pans!! The corrugated plastic is from my brother's car dealership, they have old advertising signs that they get rid of from time to time. It is easily moveable so I can pull it out from the wall and clean behind it. I"m debating whether to put wheels on it. There's storage room underneath which will free up some space in the garage. The spillage under the margarine container was because I was a dummy and didn't put it there properly in the first place. That little piece of plywood is easlily replaceable anyway. It's still a work in progress and needs a little tweaking but I'm pretty happy with it so far. I have to replace the floor wire under the nestbox section on the left with 1/2x1" wire and then I can open that up when there's no nestbox in it so she can have a little more space.

Look at Scarlett there, spoiled rotten. New cage, new cage setup, nails clipped, freshly bred! I wish I had it so good!

Attachments

• newsetup1.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 2,400
Farm Girl- it cost 6-2x4's, a piece of black pipe which I cut in half so I will get two pieces out of it, 1/4 of a sheet of 1/2" plywood and a few little brackets. I can't find the receipts but maybe about $20-25. The corrugated plastic was free but I"m not sure how much of that I can count on so I might have to buy it when I make more of these.

Maggie, it's 1/4" hardware cloth so I guess the smaller poops will fall through but that's ok, it should rinse out well. It will catch all the adult poop and the bigger kits. It doesn't slide out, I didn't think far enough ahead on that one but there is lots of room to get my arm in there to scoop it out so it shouldn't be a problem. Maybe something to think about, though...

Ann, that's one of my main ideas for building this. It will make it a lot easier if someone has to look after my rabbits for a day or two for some reason, no poo pans to pull and no real work for cleaning except to dump the margarine container (might think of something else for that too).

Everything in the garage is being ripped out, all the shelves and workbench, and it's all being spring cleaned. I"m going to build more of these units which will keep everything cleaner and they're moveable so I can move them around and clean the floor and wall behind them.

Haha Ann, no, the BUNNIES don't go outside at all, they've never been outside so it would freak them out, although it might be an idea to start getting them used to it. The probem is that I would have to bring them out the front of the garage and drag them around the back so nobody would see them as my house is fairly close to the road and I don't want to advertise that I have rabbits.

Hopefully there is a small barn in my future....

I don't know, Truckinguy... If I had a set-up for my rabbits that I could tend without going outside, I'd be very tempted to hang onto it. Maybe you can park your truck in the barn instead of moving the bunnies! :D

Ahh, Maggie, the rabbits don't realize the sacrifices I've been through for them. Parking my beloved pickup truck outside in the winter so they can have the garage is a big one. People who know me know how much I love that truck. You're right, though, not having to go outside is a big advantage! Still, it's a bit smelly for an attached garage.... specially in the summer.... This new setup should go a long way to helping with that.

Latest posts

Back