new rabbits not eating their hay

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noobious

Reaction score
Just got some proven breeders for our operation, but two of them won't eat the hay I give them, they only seem to want the pellets, any advice?

I already checked for mold on the hay, and as far as their previous home, I couldn't say, the lady was pretty clueless about what they'd been eating or doing because they were just running around her fenced in yard

Rainey is right about the things she suggests to check.

It could be that they were not fed hay at their previous home and haven't got used to it yet. Once they are well settled in, you could try reducing the pellets for a couple of days and see it that results in them trying the hay.

Another dodge, though one to be used with caution, is to sprinkle the hay with a very small amount of blackstrap molasses dissolved in hot water. Just a small spoonful in a cup of hot water is about right. Let it cool and lightly sprinkle or spray on their hay. It should entice them to eat it.

Blackstrap is nutrient-rich, but you don't want to feed it regularly. Just reduce the amount over a period of days and hope they will continue to eat the hay even when it is plain.

Good luck! :good-luck: Rabbits can be incredibly stubborn.

Was there grass in this yard?

Mine love pellets (don't get much of those, mostly as treats) but don't eat hay in summer when they have access to fresh grass and weeds (they also drink close to nothing), so I would give them these additional to hay, and reduce the grass/weeds over time when you don't want to feed it.

That's what I would do if you have access to a safe spot to gather green stuff.

Latest posts

Back