New Rabbits Doing Very Little Eating/Drinking, Suggestions?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SixGun

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
So last weekend I became the proud owner of a beautiful broken chin buck, a REW doe and their cute broken chocolate daughter. French Angora.

They had not been handled recently, but you can tell they had been someone's love as they all have great temperaments and attitudes.

However, it's been a week today, and they are so slowly coming around, I'm still terrified. Their spirits are good, alert and responsive, but they've got to start eating!

The first two days they ate and drank nothing measurable. The two does have slowly upped their intake, and today I would say ate maybe 2 oz of hay and an 1/8 c. of pellets each, and drank most of a cup of water.

The buck however, today I saw him eat pellets and hay for the first time, although not a measurable amount. He refuses apples, bananas, oats, BOSS or calf manna. I removed everything but water and hay on day five and reintroduced pellets today, day 6 and he actually nibbled them. I've also been giving him outside romp time the last two days and I think it's helped. He dug up some grass today and at least nibbled it.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Although they arrived at relatively decent weights that's not going to last forever at this rate.

Are you giving them the same feed they were eating before? They may have to be really hungry to eat unfamiliar pellets. Many of my rabbits like carrots, celery, sweet potatoes, cabbage. Give them small amounts in case their systems are not used to such foods.

Prisma":3e5iy7ef said:
Unless they are loosing weight, as long as you see them eating I wouldn't worry. Some rabbits do not need a ton of food to do well.

They are definitely losing weight.
Although overnight they did eat more than they had to this point, I'm wondering if there is anything I'm missing. I've also put ACV in their water, as I've heard that can stimulate appetite.

a7736100":3e5iy7ef said:
Are you giving them the same feed they were eating before? They may have to be really hungry to eat unfamiliar pellets. Many of my rabbits like carrots, celery, sweet potatoes, cabbage. Give them small amounts in case their systems are not used to such foods.

I do not have, nor know what they were being fed previously.

They all drank and ate overnight. Not nearly where they need to be, but it does give me hope that they are recovering from their ordeal. These bunnies are going to be the death of me. :x

Oats, Boss, and plenty of hay is what I would do, even though you already said you tried it-keep trying with that, and mix in some pellets:)

macksmom98":2rivor86 said:
Oats, Boss, and plenty of hay is what I would do, even though you already said you tried it-keep trying with that, and mix in some pellets:)

Thank you. I think you've got the right of it... just keep trying. The older doe is almost eating and drinking normally, and most importantly all of them are pooping and peeing, so they are still moving food along, even if I'm not seeing it, so, all in all, I guess thats a good sign.

My longest hold out was a week. Stubborn buck, who eventually turned out to be one of my best bunny friends.

We are nearing on week two. They still think my pellets are dumb, but they are eating calf manna (a small bit), BOSS, oats, flax seed, and come cilantro, parsley and other greens, and are all eating a good amount of hay. I feel that they are at least now maintaining, although now they need to gain some weight back. Just glad to see they're eating. Now... may have to look at those coats.

Latest posts

Back