New popples

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Half Caper Farm

Reaction score
Finally, I have a nestbox full of popples, after one blowout, one dead doe and three no-goes. :x

Experienced doe, beautiful nest with lots of fur. Nine bouncy Harlequins (and one half-eaten on the wire - it happens). I've brought them in to the house because it's freaking cold out there! She would pick the nastiest coldest day of the week to have them. :roll:

Looks like there might be two or three decent split faces in the bunch too. :D I'll have to check them more carefully ,in a few days, for leg alternations.

The other doe is jumping in and out of her box, but I don't see any fur flying yet. She's a first-timer, so I'm keeping a close eye on her.

Ah, a phrase I picked up when I worked on the mink farm. :roll: A blowout is a litter that doesn't make it because of the incompetence of the mother, whether she eats them, or doesn't feed them or whatever. Usually results in a big "P" for "pelt" on her cage card, since mink only breed once a year. Fortunately, rabbits get a 2nd chance.

If I can figure out DH's camera, I'll take some pictures.

Well, the kits with the nice split faces all have two white front feet. Sigh. There is one possible - split face not so nice, but the front legs look like they might alternate.

The second doe almost got it right. She had her kits in the nestbox and pulled some fur - but the fur was nowhere near the kits and she spread them around and buried them in the straw. All five kits died. She was a first-timer, so I'm sure she'll do just fine next time.

If we hadn't had such a cold snap, they might have survived until I found them. The first litter spent the night inside, but they stayed out last night - they were just fine this morning.

Oh well.

Back