New mom stomach gurgle and not eating?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Easy Ears

Reaction score
Hi, so my new doe Tinkerbell, Netherland Dwarf, she is about a year old, and just kindled her first litter of 2 kits yesterday morning. 1 was born dead (I was there for it all) and the live kit is happy and healthy :) Aside from not the fullest tummy in the house(it is a bit full but not extremely full from what I can tell), still, I had another doe just kindle this morning (HL, named Ginger-experienced doe) that I plan to place it in her nest for a while so it can get a full tummy. Anyway, Tinkerbell has been a great first timer so far: Made a nest, pulled fur, had both kits in the nest box --the whole works. She is very protective of the kit--but not aggressive with me when I want to take a look. :) She spends half the day in the nestbox....just coddling the kit....if I didn't know any better I would think she thinks herself a chicken keeping her chicks warm. :shock: :lol: Any time there is a loud noise when she is outside the nestbox she will immediately run in and check on the kit. :D

Anyway, I'm a bit concerned because she hadn't really eaten anything before kindling maybe 2-3 days of not eating unless she just barley touched her food and I didn't notice. Since she has given birth she hasn't eaten anything but hay. I know this because I sprinkled some oatmeal over her pellets which hasn't been touched. I also tried giving her a papaya enzyme tablet to see if she needed help with digestion or something and she wouldn't eat that either. She's a picky eater and I've yet to find a treat she won't turn down. She is eating hay right now and drinking water and acting completely normal. Maybe this is normal? All my other does have always ravenously eaten before and after kindling...? :? I also thought it was worth mentioning that after kindling yesterday morning I noticed her tummy was gurgling quite a bit. I can still hear it once in a while this morning too...mean anything?

It's good that she is at least taking hay and water. The hay should keep her GI tract from shutting down while you figure this out. How are her poops? Normal amount and normal in form?

I'd try tempting her with some parsley, a slice of apple or a few leaves of dandelion or plantain. You could also try tricking her by removing the dish of pellets for an hour or two and then putting them back. Best to replace the uneaten ones with fresh ones--they may be more appetizing. The oatmeal is a good idea too. This strategy is a long shot, but sometimes with animals you will get a "Food! It's about time!" reaction.

MaggieJ":3j74sabu said:
It's good that she is at least taking hay and water. The hay should keep her GI tract from shutting down while you figure this out. How are her poops? Normal amount and normal in form?

I'd try tempting her with some parsley, a slice of apple or a few leaves of dandelion or plantain. You could also try tricking her by removing the dish of pellets for an hour or two and then putting them back. Best to replace the uneaten ones with fresh ones--they may be more appetizing. The oatmeal is a good idea too. This strategy is a long shot, but sometimes with animals you will get a "Food! It's about time!" reaction.

Poops look on the small side, but otherwise normal. She isn't pooping very much that I can tell...

She took a few bites of apple, and one nibble of dandelion, but I left a handful in there in case she wants it. She is still eating hay. :) I'll try that food trick! :twisted:

Would raspberry leaves help too? We have lots of those....

If she's not pooping much and the poops are smaller than usual, she may have the beginning stages of GI stasis. She is doing the right thing eating hay, which has a lot of fibre. It is important that she also drinks enough to keep her well hydrated.

This is a useful link about GI stasis:
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

I realize that for many people, a vet trip for a rabbit is not an option, either because they don't know a rabbit-savvy vet or because of the expense. If you scroll down, however, you will find suggestions for home treatment.

Anything you can get the rabbit to eat will help, but dandelion greens are mildly laxative so if the bun will eat them they will help. Raspberry leaves are not laxative, but if she will eat them by all means give her some. Dampening the leaves will help with hydration.

MaggieJ":2nl5ugi9 said:
If she's not pooping much and the poops are smaller than usual, she may have the beginning stages of GI stasis. She is doing the right thing eating hay, which has a lot of fibre. It is important that she also drinks enough to keep her well hydrated.

This is a useful link about GI stasis:
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

I realize that for many people, a vet trip for a rabbit is not an option, either because they don't know a rabbit-savvy vet or because of the expense. If you scroll down, however, you will find suggestions for home treatment.

Anything you can get the rabbit to eat will help, but dandelion greens are mildly laxative so if the bun will eat them they will help. Raspberry leaves are not laxative, but if she will eat them by all means give her some. Dampening the leaves will help with hydration.

Thanks for the link!

What about actual raspberries? I gave her a carrot top, banana, pineapple, apple, dandelion, and raspberry leaves. The only thing she seemed interested in is the carrot top. I'll go get her some more of that...tomorrow I will go out and buy some parsley. Thanks again for the help!! Any other food suggestions?

A few actual raspberries won't harm her and they may just tempt her to eat more. Carrot tops are good, but wash them well if they are from a store.

The plant known as wild carrot or Queen Anne's lace is genetically the same as our domestic carrot and if she likes it, by all means feed her some. If you are not familiar with it, be careful gathering. The plant has a distinct carroty smell when bruised or broken. If that smell is absent, then it is something else - and there are a few plants that look something like it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daucus_carota
http://www.eattheweeds.com/daucus-carot ... carrots-2/

MaggieJ":3069himw said:
A few actual raspberries won't harm her and they may just tempt her to eat more. Carrot tops are good, but wash them well if they are from a store.

The plant known as wild carrot or Queen Anne's lace is genetically the same as our domestic carrot and if she likes it, by all means feed her some. If you are not familiar with it, be careful gathering. The plant has a distinct carroty smell when bruised or broken. If that smell is absent, then it is something else - and there are a few plants that look something like it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daucus_carota
http://www.eattheweeds.com/daucus-carot ... carrots-2/

I'm feeding her carrot tops from my garden. :) And she is eating the parsley! :D I also caught her eating some pellets today! Thank God! :p :D Thanks for your help!!!!! I'll keep you updated!

Back