Register

New Member - New mini-rabbitry

Site News, Announcements, Posting Guidelines and Introductions.
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 820.00

Re: New Member - New mini-rabbitry

Post Number:#16  Unread postby Nymphadora » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:35 pm

Ferra wrote:
A wizard is never late! Frodo Baggins. ... Nor is he early, he arrives precisely when he means to.

Right on time... Day 31
And I put my hand in it and felt warm, squirmy squeaky things!

What a lovely Winter Solstice present! Maybe (if you name them), they should get winter-y names... Jack Frost, Snowflake, Holly, Merry (extra bonus for being a Hobbit name, too), or the like? ;)

Site Supporter
Canada
BunnyBucks: 106.00

Re: New Member - New mini-rabbitry

Post Number:#17  Unread postby Ferra » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:39 pm

All they kits were alive and gaining weight at 48 hours. (Averaging 10g gained per kit). The littlest one is even catching up a bit. Mom also pulled even more fur for them. She's got this maternal routine down pat.

Which makes her (continued? I though we were over this!) agressive behavior that much more frustrating. I went out to feed her this morning and she defended her empty grain bowl from my attempts to refill it. Growling and full contact boxing. I have a few new claw gouges. Not exactly deadly wounds, but they sting like a sonnofagun.

Right now so am just really frustrated with this little girl. She runs up to the front of the cage for food! She loves taking raisins from my fingers! She tolerates head rubs and the occasional rub down the back. She's not very into being picked up, but for a rabbit raised in a pseudo-colony situation and not picked up much at all for he first two months of her life, that makes sense. But then she switched over to territorial snarling and gouging on a whim?

I said I'd forgive her if she delivered on the tiny-bunnies, but I WAS kinda expecting the behaviour to stop after kindling...

__________Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:49 am ___________

Grumpy mom has been better the past two days or so. I was about ready to say she was settling down, however...

She attacked me again this morning. However, I at least know a bit more about her "triggers" now. It's ALL about her grain bowl. She is defending her grain bowl from all comers.

I can reach in and take the kits, I can replace her water dish she tore off the cage wall, I can give her pets or feed her raisins, but once I move for that bowl, it's on with her. The metaphorical rabbit gloves are off.

Today, having a vague inkling about the common thread between the attacks, I was a bit more cautious. I moved the water bowl first, no reaction. I pet the grumpy-bunny, no reaction. Then I decided to refill the bowl by dropping her barley into it, with my hand 12" up and away from the grain bowl. STILL didn't save me, she lunged (and connected, because I thought 12" was safe) as soon as she heard the filling sound. (and I was so excited that my hand-scratches were HEALING over the past two days... It's a good thing my coworkers are aware I have a grumpy pet...)

So for now, no grain bowl for her. I stole it from her, and gave it to my buck, instead. (No way I was going to let her keep the ill gotten gains from her assault) Maybe I can come up with another way to feed her the extra pregnancy rations she needs, without giving her that bowl back to continue defending.

Later today will be weigh in day 7 for the kits. All five are still doing well. Two a little smaller than the others, but still gaining weight and getting fed. Just maybe not to the same extent as "Fatty, the chinchilla-agouti" - the litter's heavyweight kit. :)

__________Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:39 pm ___________

My smaller doe, Onyx, should hopefully kindle her first litter a week from now. I want to give her a fair shot, but I'm not super impressed with her: She's a picky eater, and seems to be holding around 5.5lbs at just shy of 5 months old. She's tentatively up for replacement.

Mithril, by comparison, was around 7lbs at that time, and 7.5lbs today. Here's mom and her most prodigiously sized kit in bad shed light.

4wk-motherdaugher.jpg
4wk-motherdaugher.jpg (48.88 KiB) Viewed 6 times

Mithril's litter is just past 4 weeks old now, and is averaging 600g (1lb5oz) for each kit. And it looks like two of the kits that were born as ?black are, in fact, black. The total litter weight was 1667g at three weeks, which isn't comparing brilliantly with standards I read in "Rabbit Production" wherein commercial breeds typically hit 2000g. But this is a first litter, and it has been, figuratively speaking, cold as ballz around here in the past few months. I have two in the litter I'm considering keeping, and "testing" against Onyx. Loser would go to camp. Right now I'm assessing on growth rate and general personality, but I'm hoping I'll be able to suss out type characteristics as they get a little older. I haven't seen anything overtly wrong with either, but I *think* my chinchilla-colored kit is a little "meatier" looking overall.

Both the kits are not fond of camera flash, but were mostly okay for photos otherwise.

The Chinchilla kit.
4wk-chilchilla.jpg
4wk-chilchilla.jpg (74.02 KiB) Viewed 6 times

The Black Silver Martin Kit.
4wk-gandalf.jpg
4wk-gandalf.jpg (67.57 KiB) Viewed 6 times

Previous