New here, some questions ,new cage

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corgipoo

Reaction score
Just got this bank of 26"/26"/14" cages, will this thing be good for Californian or New Zealand breeding? I raised some rabbits 20 yrs ago with not very good equipment, I will need some kind of roof or cover,I am in Michigan , it gets cold here,

imagerotated.jpg

Hi Corgipoo!

:welcomewagon:

Those cages will be fine for growouts, but your breeding does should have cages that are 30" x 36" at least, and 18" tall. I raise Rex, which are a bit smaller, and currently my breeding does are in 24" x 30" cages which are a bit tight when does have litters. I plan to upgrade them to at least 24" x 36". Bucks can be kept in smaller cages- mine are in 18" x 24" and that seems fine.

If you don't want to invest in larger cages you might consider raising a smaller meat breed such as Florida Whites, Dutch, Havanas, or mini Satins. The carcasses will be smaller, but all are nice meaty breeds.

F.R. BunnyRabbit":6gc8cdim said:
Is the image upside down? :shock:

Yes, it looks that way to me. Miss M will fix it, I'm sure.

Thank you, what if I cut between and make two into one, is a that to big?

__________ Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:47 pm __________

__________ Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:47 pm __________

__________ Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:48 pm __________

Thank you, what if I cut between and make two into one, is a that to big? <br /><br /> __________ Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:49 pm __________ <br /><br /> Thank you, what if I cut between and make two into one, is a that to big?

I agree those cages are very small for commercial meat breeds.
(I sure would LOVE them for my quail.)
Most of my rabbit pens are 48x24x18, for 7-9 lb buns. (Smaller than New zealand or calis.)

I doubt the rabbits would think so. ;)
The only way a cage becomes "too big" is if you cannot easily reach into it for cleaning or rabbit retrieval.

Well in that case I need to find some rabbits and modify if Needed, so far I haven't found any rabbit for sale around here, thanks.

__________ Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:20 pm __________

Well in that case I need to find some rabbits and modify if Needed, so far I haven't found any rabbit for sale around here, thanks. <br /><br /> __________ Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:20 pm __________ <br /><br /> Well in that case I need to find some rabbits and modify if Needed, so far I haven't found any rabbit for sale around here, thanks.

Odd... In the thread, the image appears upside-down. I saved it to my computer and opened it in a viewer, and it's rightside-up. :shock:

I'll do a little tinkering, and then upload it again. Maybe that will reset something.

__________ Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:36 pm __________

Sorry for the delay... had to go tend to my tortilla dough. :chef: <br /><br /> __________ Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:53 pm __________ <br /><br /> Okay, it should be right now. :) Hope you don't mind me messing with your image, Corgipoo!

That's weird when I look at it it is upright, I was wondering, if I got Dutch does and bred to a New Zealand row other lg buck, would the kits be to big for the doe to birth safley, I could keep the big buck in a lg dog crate?

It has to do with the digital information attached to the image. Sometimes if it has been rotated, some, but not all the data gets changed. Your computer reads it fine but some online uploads don't read the all the data and so don't orient the image correctly. I have this problem with etsy and some of my images occasionally. Opening the image, rotating it, and then saving the image fixes the problem.

Back