New Here. Not new to rabbits (posted some new pics of sylve

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

otis30

Reaction score
I have 3 rabbits, I just purchased the 3rd for 5 dollars. I am not to sure there breeds I know they are mixed. The big white one is a male his name is Sylvester, the black one is a female her name is Petunia and the tiny white one is a female her name is Violet. The 2 big ones are about 7 monthes and have been fixed, the baby will as soon as she is old enough. Any ideas on what they are mixed with?

__________ Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:06 pm __________

sorry will get some pics up in a minute The baby does have red eyes, the big male does not, his are blue and the tips of his ears are turning grey and there is a grey stripe formimg on his back. Sylvester and Violet were bought at a menonite, Sylvester was in bad condition when I got him I have no idea why I went there to buy violet.

Attachments

• the bunnies 007.JPG
    the bunnies 007.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 2,235
  • bunnies 009.JPG
    bunnies 009.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 2,235
  • DSC00076.jpg
    DSC00076.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 2,235
  • the bunnies 010.JPG
    the bunnies 010.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 2,235
  • the bunnies 023.JPG
    the bunnies 023.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 2,235
  • petunia 013.JPG
    petunia 013.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 2,235
What great rabbits you have there... I hesitate to say they are New Z's because there seems to be a mix in there. Maybe another member can chime in with an opinion.
Welcome to Rabbit Talk! :)

they have a bit a rex look about them as well. They are probably just a good mutt breed. They often make excellent pets. :)

yeah, for me they dont need to be anything special, just good pets for my niece (4 years) and my nephews (4, 6,8 years old). I just got home to Find that Petunia escaped from her cage again, its only the 3rd tim in like a week.

Do the white ones have a bit of a grey tinge to the ears? They may be Cali/NZW crosses. It is hard to tell, but Sylvester may have a "silvering" gene. Can you post an up close pic of the "grey" parts? Lovely rabbits and welcome!

these are the only pics of the grey I have, its darker then what the pics show. I cant find my camera to take any new ones. he has a grey stip going up his back that only goes about 1/2 way. The on pic his ears are wet, I thought his ears were dirty, he was all white when bought him. I get him and start feeding him good quality food and his tips of his dropped down for a couple monthes and he started changeing colors. the little white one has no grey in her. I bought these to from menonites, they breed for qaunity not qaulity, i dont care about that because they are mainly sold for meat, but you do need to take care of them still.<br /><br />__________ Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:19 pm __________<br /><br />

Attachments

• bunnies 001.JPG
    bunnies 001.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 2,196
  • sylvester 001.JPG
    sylvester 001.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 2,196
  • sylvesters ears 001.JPG
    sylvesters ears 001.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 2,196
The one with grey ears looks like a Cali cross to me...and look at the size of those ears! Maybe a Flemish/Cali cross?

Sylvester is a very big boy. I had him to the vet the begining of July to be nuetered and he weighed a little over 7 pounds, he was real thin, because he wasnt feed right. I am putting a pic up I took a couple weeks ago of him sitting next to my doxie who weighs between 13 and 14 pounds.

Attachments

• otis and the bunnies 005.JPG
    otis and the bunnies 005.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 2,192
I have no idea how much bigger he will get. I got him in june, I had him neutered in july, and he has become a moose.

july 5th he was 7 1/2 pounds, thats when he was neutered. he lays in a cat pan and just fits lengh wise, thats with out sprawling out. my dashound weighs about 13 pounds, and sylvester looks about he same size as him, but not as heavy. How long do they grow for?

Checkereds max out at around 10 months, but Flemish (what your bunnies look like) take up to a year and a half I'm told. If he's a cross of course he won't take that long or get as big as a purebred Flemmie, but he definitely (to me) has the same body/head/ear shapes.

Here's the national Flemish Giant club's website - http://www.nffgrb.com/

otis30":32ijvanx said:
looks like I may have a big boy on my hands
You might have an even LARGER girl on your hands... :lol: Your doe may get cross doe may be bigger than Sylvester when they are done growing.... :mrgreen:

The black one has pretty much not grown any in a while. The little white one might. she will be getting spayed as soon as the vet says its ok.<br /><br />__________ Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:58 pm __________<br /><br />Here are some more, closer pics of the grey in Sylvester. Maybe these will help figuire out what mix he is. There are some of Petunia and Violet to, I dont no exactly what mix they are either.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 892
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 892
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 892
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 892
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 892
  • 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 892
  • 016.JPG
    016.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 892
He looks like he is a "frosty" or "ermine" in his colouring, which would be a red rabbit who also has the chinchilla genes, so possibly a Red Flemish ( not sure of the actual Flemish term) and a Californian rabbit. :)

Back