New Flo through worm bed

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well this didn't quite turn out the way I would have liked but I should be good enough for worms

The goal get finished worm castings/compost without separating worms

red wigglers live on the top 6 inches of dirt so after about a foot of finished castings and compost there should be few eggs and worms on the bottom.

The box is 2x4x2 the plywood sheet is not pressure treated the 2x4s are

you need way more wire than I thought the shinny wire on one end is 50ft long. I ran out of some free galvanized wire on the other 2/3 of it

I found while trying to pull that wire tight it was biting through the 2x4s

Cant say worms were not worth it I made 300$ and a welder from just watering a box of dirt on the ground until it was full of worms

That's similar to a design I saw at a homesteading faire years ago. If I remember right it originated out of Berkley. The unit I saw at the faire were using plastic sheathed clothes line cord rather than the wire and did not appear to be having problems. According to then the line would last 4-5 years before it needed to be replaced.

Nice build by the way.

This is making me bummed out that our worm beds under the rabbits cages are just 2 1/2' x 9'x12" deep boxes partially dug into the ground. I'm not exactly sure yet how I'm supposed to be able to get to the casting if they are on the bottom, and how I'm supposed to turn the worm bed with a pitchfork 2-3 times a month without disturbing them in the first place! I'm guessing that I won't be able to harvest them separately, they will just become part of the mix?

Really great system you've built there!

Comet007":2jvab2ia said:
This is making me bummed out that our worm beds under the rabbits cages are just 2 1/2' x 9'x12" deep boxes partially dug into the ground. I'm not exactly sure yet how I'm supposed to be able to get to the casting if they are on the bottom, and how I'm supposed to turn the worm bed with a pitchfork 2-3 times a month without disturbing them in the first place! I'm guessing that I won't be able to harvest them separately, they will just become part of the mix?

Really great system you've built there!

the first beds i made were 6inches deep under the rabbit cages worked great but very hard to seperate worms from castings

I just sold the whole deal at the time 2x and got a welder and 300$ out of it so your set up will work great

__________ Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:12 pm __________

JohnMc":2jvab2ia said:

That's similar to a design I saw at a homesteading faire years ago. If I remember right it originated out of Berkley. The unit I saw at the faire were using plastic sheathed clothes line cord rather than the wire and did not appear to be having problems. According to then the line would last 4-5 years before it needed to be replaced.

Nice build by the way.

probably where I got it from about a weeks worth of googling I used wire instead of cloths line/weed eater sting because Im not nice to things and i will probably catch the rake on it and break it

Back