New Experiment going well!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anntann

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Some of you will remember my Mama-San and Peter threads. (New Zealand Blacks) They live together when I want her bred until about a week before she's due. Peter usually gets a bit more aggressive in his attempts to er, have his way with her, as she gets whale-like and can't hop away. THIS time however....we're going along quite nicely as a three-some all in the same pen.

I kept one of the does from the last litter and just left her with Mama. Peter was housed right next to them. Last month I opened the panel and watched to make sure that Clone (the 6month old) wasn't going to get into trouble. She's 9lbs, almost as large as Mama-San, but fairly timid with Peter. He bred Mama and tried to coax Clone, but she wasn't interested at all so he left her alone for the first few days. Then she started to show interest in him, and I'm pretty sure she's bred now, too.

Mama-San is now a lovely large lumpy whale, due Monday or Tuesday. She has the self-satisfied smile on her face and often just lays there looking inwards. Clone is not AS large, but there's definitely a heaviness to her now. and Peter! Well, Peter is behaving WONDERFULLY! he's not taking advantage of them, he's just being a pal. Lays down next to a doe and grooms her face or ears. They groom him.

The nest tunnel is in the pen now, and while Peter checked it out, he doesn't go into it anymore. Clone spends time inside, and Mama was inside this morning when I fed, but no nest making activities yet. (I did put some straw and hay inside the tunnel)

I'm hoping that the two does will kindle in the same nest, as the Angoras did...since Mama had trouble feeding her last litter, I'm slightly counting on Clone helping out. We'll see. If Mama won't let Clone in the nesttunnel, I'll add another box. If she has more than 5 kits, I'll try to foster them on Ethel, the American who only has 4 kits.

bottom line...I'm going to try leaving Peter in with the girls and see what happens. We'll keep a close eye on them when Mama kindles and for the first couple of days..ANY sign of aggression and he's out.

Cross your fingers and think happy bunny thoughts!

I've never heard of a buck harming kits so I expect things will go smoothly. He may pester the newly delivered does with his attentions, but it sounds like he has learned when no means no.

Back