New Colony

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

countrymomma1991

Reaction score
Hello, I am new to colonies. I got ten rabbits that were living in a colony setting, So we built them a pen big enough for them to stay that way. I just don't know much about colonies. So if you have any advice I would greatly appreciate it. Also my doe may be pregnant.

Is your colony inside or outside or both? What do you have on the ground to keep them from digging out, or did you sink a dig brarier around the colony? If your does are preg then they may not have enough time to dig a nest place nest boxes in the coloney but keep the apart and where the does are not look straight at each other :roll: , they don't seem to like that. Expect so chasing and a little hair pulling, but is one gets to aggrasive cull them. Good luck :bunnyhop: :bunnyhop: :bunnyhop:

The cage is outside. I have chicken wire attached to the bottom of the cage. I then have straw over it so that they dont stand in their poo. I may have one pregnant doe. I have a big long nest box with a board in the middle. The wholes are one two opposite ends. Thanks for your tips!!!

Sounds good. The only problem with chicken wire is the opening in the wire may allow your young kits get out and not a very strong defence against predators. May want too use 1/2" X 1" on the bottom and 1" x 1" or 1" X 2" on up. I have tin around my colney and sunk down about 2-3 feet in the ground extending up about another 2 feet then 1 X 2 wire up to 31/2 feet with chicken wire over the top. You see my colony in my callery page.

I have fencing around the pen then chicken wire around it so the buns can't get out. I've got the smallest chicken wire size they had. Thanks for all the tips. I will go look at the pictures.

Back