New colony

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ralph

Reaction score
Building a new colony. Part inside and part outside. The inside is approx 10' X 14' and the outside is 10' X 18' with seperate buck space off the side the whole thing has a dig barrier approx 2 1/2 to 3 feet deep all around it. The does can go from inside to outsice at will the bucks have an inside and outside also. Wanting to house my 6 does in the area is it large enough? Also I've heard in colonies there can be a flea problem. Never had fleas in by cages don't know about colony life. Any advice would be very welcome. My rabbits are all meat muts Lope, New Zealand and Flem.

I don't raise in colonies, but that sounds like plenty of space to me. I'm sure our colony raisers will advise you. :)

Make sure to provide hiding spots and visual barriers for them so they can retreat if one rabbit becomes dominant.

Food-grade diatomaceous earth is an effective treatment for fleas, mites, and ticks. You can powder the rabbits with it, and also sprinkle it in the shaded or damp areas of the run. Flea eggs and larvae will not be in direct sun.

We would love to see pictures of your colony when you are done! :)

Try and get some pic out soon. It's shaping up well. Thanks for a advice on flea control.

Sounds plenty big enough to me. Lots of hidey holes and nest boxes are important.

Well got the outside part of the colony done moved the does with kits in last night. Everyone got along well some chasing and hair pulling at fist among the does. Kits just played together like any kid. Hope to send pic this weekend.

Well everyone seems to have settled down. Still a few arguments about who's space belongs to who. Kits are fine playing and having a good time, wish adult could get along as well as kids.

image.php

Just finishing up the shed on the back of the run was my rabbit house it's now getting rework, clean and new fixtures for the inside run. The two will be connected.

image.php

Kits checking out the new digs. No she's not dead she like to play dead till you go check up on her the she jumps up and runs :p

image.php

That my big mom got some flim in her. She the sweet one just rolls with the flow.

image.php

Sorry about the mess still working.

Thats a sweet set up. Your rabbits are living the good life before they go to freezer camp :) I'm thinking of switching to colony too but rabbits are just mean to each other. They're the nastiest bullies around

Not had to much trouble. Although all my doe are related or where raised together. When I introduce a new bun I watch to see if she gets along with the others, if not off to camp she goes. I keep the bucks in a seperate area of the run.

Back