New Chicks

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truckinguy

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Well, they're here! The kindergarten class at the school that my neighbors kids go to had a class project hatching eggs and they gave the chicks away. My neighbor gave them to me along with lots of advice and a growout cage he built. I'm all excited but really feel like a newbie so I hope these little winged beasties survive. Is it too early to tell what breed they are? My neighbor had no idea.

Off on yet another adventure!

Attachments

• Newchicks1.jpg
    Newchicks1.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 1,991
No idea on the breed. They may be meat birds. If they do nothing but eat and grow at an astronomical rate, you can be pretty sure that is what they are. Meat birds can reach 5 pounds at 8-10 weeks. If they grow much more slowly, they will likely be layers of some sort. Here's a link to a poultry site that has pictures of the different breeds:
http://www.feathersite.com/

Have fun with them! :D

I would also say they are Cornish cross meaties as well. folks at BYC (backyard chickens) could give you a better idea. At any rate - CONGRATS!!!

Thanks! It will be easier to tell as the feathers grow in. If they are a meat bird I'll have to look for some layers as that is what I'm looking for. At least these will get me used to looking after them. Got rabbits, chickens, worms.... what's next?

Thanks! Having some computer and internet issues. Maggie, I'll look at that site (if I"m able to!).

They're cute all right! Just like the baby rabbits, it's all I can do to keep myself from just playing with them all day!

Oh, gee... Forgot you are on dial-up, Truckinguy.

When they get feathered out, maybe we can help you figure out what you've got. But in the meantime, I'd be looking for some chicks you know are of a layer breed. Even if these also turn out to be layers, at least half of them are going to be roosters... so you could likely use a few more pullets.

Kijiji is often a good source for chickens. :)

I doubt if they are Cornish/Rock crosses. It would be unusual to find eggs to hatch from that hybrid.
My best guess is that the are White Rocks. They are rather heavy for an egg breed like Leghorn, which only leaves all or mostly white meat birds. There are a number of heavier breeds out there, but only a few all white breeds in that category, and White Rocks are the most common. If you find they are Cornish/Rock crosses, you need to switch from regular chick feed to "game-bird" feed. The crosses require a substantially more protein to do well. Also, you might want to put a little agricultural lime (absolutely not any other kind of lime) or some finely crushed oyster shell in with them, as crosses grow so fast that their legs tend to fail and they need the extra calcium.

Whatever they are, they are extremely adorable! What a cute project!

Well. 48 hours later they are still alive! I really think they are a lot bigger than when I got them. The guy who gave them to my neighbor sent along a bag of feed and I've been combining it with a bag of chick starter that I bought so they will get used to the new feed. I will keep a close eye on them to see what breed they are as soon as possible so as to make sure they are getting the right feed. Even if these don't turn out to be what I"m looking for it's a great way to get started and learn how to care for them. Thanks to everyone for their advice!

I've been trying to post a picture but I"m having some major computer issues so you'll have to bear with me. Suddenly the computer is slow as molasses, the dialup is unreliable and the phone line has humming on it sometimes that reduces the dialup speed to half or a quarter speed or worse.

Ok, it seems to have worked. This is last night. This little guy/girl wasn't too happy about being separated from the others and let me know about it in no uncertain terms!

Attachments

• chick1.jpg
    chick1.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 1,941
They hate being separated from the group... It goes against all their instincts. I'm no expert on meat birds, but this little guy looks longer in the neck and has heavier feet than I remember from the layer chicks I have raised. Growing fast, eh?

Yup, growing like weeds! They're almost too big to pick up with one hand now. They do seem to have big feet. Whatever they are, I"m having a blast with them! They have pretty much outgrown the tote they are in and are moving out to the garage this weekend to be in a larger pen. When they outgrow that, out to the new coop they go!

Back