New 12 Step Program--

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought of this thread the other day when I was looking for a particular recipe in my cook book index. I was searching through, felt confused and realized that my brain was looking for the words "blue otter" in the index when what I was actually supposed to be looking for was "meat loaf". LOL. No I was not looking to turn a blue otter into a meat loaf either. We had just recently got our blue otter Velveteen Lop and apparently that was what my mind was focused on. :) I thought this was likely a sign of "Rabbitosis".

WhWRabbitry":fgi41ylf said:
I thought of this thread the other day when I was looking for a particular recipe in my cook book index. I was searching through, felt confused and realized that my brain was looking for the words "blue otter" in the index when what I was actually supposed to be looking for was "meat loaf". LOL. No I was not looking to turn a blue otter into a meat loaf either. We had just recently got our blue otter Velveteen Lop and apparently that was what my mind was focused on. :) I thought this was likely a sign of "Rabbitosis".
:p :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hi, my name is Tina and I am a rabbitoholic. I was doing well until I found out Standard Rex had arrived in my state. Rabbitosis acquirosis hit like a bad case of hives which could only be calmed by obtaining some of those Rexes for myself. I got a breeding trio of 8-week olds for my birthday (every gal should be able to buy herself a birthday present so stop judging me! :p ). Then, the same breeder decided to sale out of most of her herd and she had this pretty broken castor doe that would go well with my castor trio. Made perfect sense to obtain her. YES, it DID SO! But, then, in the process of obtaining the sweet doe the breeder starts on how I really needed her adult buck -- all 11pounds of castor amazingness. I tried to resist. Truly I did. But, by all that is holy he is a BEAUT. And....and....YOU WOULD HAVE TAKEN HIM, TOO ...so stop judging me! :p

There is no cure. I am doomed. I don't care! :twisted:

I am ashamed :oops: but that didnt stop me setting up FOUR MORE CAGES!!! so I could bring my French Angora project closer to the door (for ease of bringing them inside to groom them) and the Rex does that SOMEHOW found their way to the farm instead of into the freezer could be settled into their now *gasp* EMPTY cages. After, of course, having a stop into the bucks cage on the way to their new abode.

*sigh*

Weak, I am so weak!

So I am heading to a show on the 6th and figured I would pick up a doe there if I saw one I liked. Well.....over the last few days I have managed to buy 5 Lionheads to get delivered to the show, before I even stepped foot there. And it wasn't like a one-time slip up, it was three different breeders. I'm terribly addicted....

I don't even have my hutches together and I'm pretty much buying rabbits. found a lady near by with Black Otter Standard Rex who has to downsize because she is moving.... Annnnnd the breeder is a huge enabler of Rabbitosis!! lol What am I going to do here people!!! lol I may not have the money to buy any rabbits right now though *looks through her piggy bank*

Getting two French Lops tomorrow! New breed for me. And already looking for two more even though all of my cages will be full after tomorrow. Thankfully the hubby likes to build things for me.

My name is Capri and I don't have the kind of rabbitosis a lot of people seem to have on here. My curiosity/fasinaction/love of all sorts of small mammals means I'd love to own and have owned quite a few interesting things. I'm in the city, so can't have ducks or sheep, which is too bad, because IMO they are adorable. I can't own a cat because I live with someone who is horribly allergic, and all others in my household just plain don't like cats. But I have always loved cats and rabbits equally. They are remarkably similar to stroke and a sleeping rabbit in your arms or lap is so like a sleeping kitten. So for my birthday this year, my family got me the cash for a rabbit of my choice. It was all done way in advance so that the rabbit would be here and well adjusted by the time my family all came over to celebrate and meet her.

She is a lionhead that I got by mistake as she was sold as a purebred Netherland dwarf. I haven't enough room for a large breed, and a medium might be pushing it a bit. A small breed is still a wonderful little armful of love and easier for my smallish hands to pick up.. :)

Felicity gives me a lot of love and happiness, and she is so happy here, too.

I go out to check on her as soon as I wake up in the morning, and throughout the day whenever I can, I'll stop by to see her. At least once or twice a day, depending on the weather and if she is accessible to me, I must take her in for a cuddle on my lap. She has a nice big shelter in her cage that she can sleep in or get out of the wind or run to if alarmed.

In the morning, she flies around like a maniac, so playful and hilarious.

Even with that, she greets me by standing up on her hind legs and stretching herself up as tall as she possibly can to greet my hand with her nose when I open the cage top. And she does what my Dutch rabbit from my teens did. Lick lick lick. Too cute.

She is all the rabbit/cat I need, and I can't ever get too much or enough of her.

Early Morning Play Time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRlArAEspbg

I kept back 2 fairly nice 3/4 rex castor does. Then my magpie doe had two nice young ones I wanted to keep. One is a rex chin and one is a white rex. Then, when I was butchering today, I just couldn't bring myself to butcher the broken squirrel doe. She is 3/4 rex but doesn't have rex fur. She is sooo pretty. Then her dam has kindled again and there is a broken chin and a lynx (possible chin carrier) I may consider keeping. Now my my magpie is bred back to a broken blue tort and I can't wait to see what what she has. I have some 3/4 rex otter kits that are looking really nice... My pedigreed tri doe has a beautiful opal doe and a blue tri buck I think I need to keep... I hope some of these kits don't grow well or something or I'm going to be in serious trouble.

I thought my rabbitosis was well controlled but obviously it was just in a temporary remission.

I'm going to need more cages....

And just because I can't have any of you pointing fingers. The broken squirrel doe. You can't really blame me right???

Attachments

• IMG_20170317_123332 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_20170317_123332 (Medium).jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 4,617
  • IMG_20170317_123330 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_20170317_123330 (Medium).jpg
    201 KB · Views: 4,617
  • IMG_20170317_123328 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_20170317_123328 (Medium).jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 4,617
Call me Victor Frankenstein because I'm about to bring this thread back to life.

Hello my name is Amanda, more commonly known as GuardianOasis. I do not suffer from rabbitosis. After 16 years of therapy I've come to accept my gift and learn to enjoy it despite whatever struggles it gives me. My rabbitosis is a direct result of a more serious condition called Obsessive Genetic Mathmaticus and an addictive side infliction called Must Test Outicus. Fortunately these two conditions don't just limit to rabbits, but also have spilled into other species. My first encounter with the conditions started with horses. Although the guilt of breeding but not being able to find acceptable homes for my "test results" (ok that sounded bad... I loved them, they were more than just test results but it sounded good for my story) made me give up the practice. The conditions picked up ball pythons and corn snakes but due to the PTSD of being stranded in a snow storm, I decided to "justify" my habits by choosing something I could ultimately consume if needed.

I admit that I have a very acute and chronic case of rabbitosis. What started out as simply one breed and a small set of interchangeable varieties has turned into the desire to breed a lot of colors in three main fur types: fly back, satin and rex. I've come to justify this, telling people I want to sell high quality pelts for crafting and sell to the production guy to feed hungry people. I don't know if my family agrees with me or just accepts that I have a "problem." My problem has influenced my soon to be husband to get a job in a construction company where I now get 50% off building supplies from Home Depot and I have on multiple occasions considered getting a part time job working a day a week at the local Tractor Supply to get a discount on my Manna Pro rabbit feed. At some point I may just do that as I'm sure once I start with chickens there will be no stopping. The only rabbits that I am interested in but haven't really taken the leap into is Satin Angoras. I had a couple that belonged to an ex. We had an idea and I really enjoyed the idea and haven't been able to let it go. I have however infected my soon-to-be's children with the entry level rabbitosis. We are getting some Mini Satins this year so their young hands and arms can snuggle and love them to the show table. There is evil laughter in the background, can you hear it? No? Hmmm..

I'm sure my family thinks I'm crazy. I tell them, you know what? It's better than meth. They don't really have anything to say after that.

:rabbit-hop2: :rabbit-hop2:

__________ Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:55 am __________

OH! And I forgot to leave out that I might have an addiction to this forum too, since I keep replying to posts so most of the new posts have my name on it.... my bad.

Oh and that I told my soon-to-be that if ever he wants to buy me something for Christmas or my birthday, it's safe to say anything bunny, chicken or farm related would be a sure fine winner. I told him I didn't need a huge diamond wedding ring, that if he wanted to spend that money on Satins it would be the same thing.

guardianoasis":ddr88od2 said:
Call me Victor Frankenstein because I'm about to bring this thread back to life.
This thread is meant to be added to by new members. It helps the afflicted to know that they aren't the first to contract the various forms of Rabbitosis.

Hello my name is Amanda, more commonly known as GuardianOasis. I do not suffer from rabbitosis. After 16 years of therapy I've come to accept my gift and learn to enjoy it despite whatever struggles it gives me.
Acceptance is good. :twisted:

My rabbitosis is a direct result of a more serious condition called Obsessive Genetic Mathmaticus and an addictive side infliction called Must Test Outicus. Fortunately these two conditions don't just limit to rabbits, but also have spilled into other species.
The forms this dread disease takes never fail to astound me! :shock:

My first encounter with the conditions started with horses. Although the guilt of breeding but not being able to find acceptable homes for my "test results" (ok that sounded bad... I loved them, they were more than just test results but it sounded good for my story) made me give up the practice. The conditions picked up ball pythons and corn snakes but due to the PTSD of being stranded in a snow storm, I decided to "justify" my habits by choosing something I could ultimately consume if needed.
Your family must be relieved that you are obsessing with something as manageable as rabbits now. :cool:

I admit that I have a very acute and chronic case of rabbitosis. What started out as simply one breed and a small set of interchangeable varieties has turned into the desire to breed a lot of colors in three main fur types: fly back, satin and rex. I've come to justify this, telling people I want to sell high quality pelts for crafting and sell to the production guy to feed hungry people. I don't know if my family agrees with me or just accepts that I have a "problem." My problem has influenced my soon to be husband to get a job in a construction company where I now get 50% off building supplies from Home Depot and I have on multiple occasions considered getting a part time job working a day a week at the local Tractor Supply to get a discount on my Manna Pro rabbit feed. At some point I may just do that as I'm sure once I start with chickens there will be no stopping. The only rabbits that I am interested in but haven't really taken the leap into is Satin Angoras. I had a couple that belonged to an ex. We had an idea and I really enjoyed the idea and haven't been able to let it go. I have however infected my soon-to-be's children with the entry level rabbitosis. We are getting some Mini Satins this year so their young hands and arms can snuggle and love them to the show table. There is evil laughter in the background, can you hear it? No? Hmmm..

I'm sure my family thinks I'm crazy. I tell them, you know what? It's better than meth. They don't really have anything to say after that.

:rabbit-hop2: :rabbit-hop2:
Ah, an enabler as well! This is excellent! :D

MaggieJ":209p17xk said:
This thread is meant to be added to by new members. It helps the afflicted to know that they aren't the first to contract the various forms of Rabbitosis.

Good to know. :lol: Me and my rambling though

The forms this dread disease takes never fail to astound me! :shock:

I think this is the one that bothers my soon-to-be the most because I sit at my computer with this very much deep in thought, calculating look on my face and do this for hours sometimes. He is like if it bugs you that much then you should stop. NO! I have to figure it out!

Your family must be relieved that you are obsessing with something as manageable as rabbits now. :cool:

I think it's more me who is relieved. I try not to think of the things I could've bought with the money I spent on all the horses. I love horses and we will have a couple for recreation eventually but never again will I get that deep into breeding, training and showing horses.

Ah, an enabler as well! This is excellent! :D

Yes, very much so in a lot of aspects in life. On a personal level, as a recovering abuse victim I spend a lot of time enabling everyone to change their lifestyles and do the things that make them happy. Even if others think your crazy. You get one life. Just do it. :D

Since this thread has come back to life I guess I'd better reintroduce myself..

I'm ozemba and I am here to let the forum members know that my rabbitosis has actually worsened as my rabbitry has now spread from one breed to two breeds.

After three years of Holland Lops, I am getting my first pair of French Angora rabbits from Six Guns next month.

How did this happen?

ozemba":319sf121 said:
Since this thread has come back to life I guess I'd better reintroduce myself..

I'm ozemba and I am here to let the forum members know that my rabbitosis has actually worsened as my rabbitry has now spread from one breed to two breeds.

After three years of Holland Lops, I am getting my first pair of French Angora rabbits from Six Guns next month.

How did this happen?

Because fluffy bunnies are the cutest <br /><br /> __________ Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:18 am __________ <br /><br /> I wanted meat rabbits and something to show because I actually like showing in general. Kinda getting recognition for my hard work. I found the livestock conservancy website and American Chinchillas were listed as critical. My first rabbits were American Chinchillas. I have 5 super seniors in my barn where I think these next couple litters will be their last. They are pushing, or over, 5 years old. But then I found Satins and put a fork in me I'm done. I want all the colors. ALL.... OF.... THEM.... Same with Mini Satins but those are more for the kiddos. And I really like Satin Angoras but I don't know enough about the wool just yet to start that again.

guardianoasis":rhedea40 said:
And I really like Satin Angoras but I don't know enough about the wool just yet to start that again.

Oh don't let me fool you, I am jumping into the deep end here, but my eyes are open and I've got wonderful people here who work with angoras that I can always turn to with questions. I'm excited to start the wool adventure.

Hi :oops:
I'm Ozarkansas. My problem is I haven't been logging into rabbit talk enough. I haven't been spending as much time has I should with my enabling.... err... supportive freinds who share my awful disease. And... I um... well.... I dropped the Palominos. :cry: Yep you heard that right. I now have only 3 breeds. But I added two colors to the Dutch project so please forgive me?? Please? Also show season is starting here so I'm "hoping" I will be able to resist the running breeds. Actually I'm hoping I can't resist them!

LOL! Y'all have all the fun without me! I need to check in more often! BTW I am dealing with "Cavyosis" (AKA "GuineaPigosis") if anyone wants to hear about that ;)

Hi. I'm Elizabeth and I am addicted to my rabbits. Was going to only have a tri. That was Sept. Ended up being home 4. Now I just got 2 more. Rabbit math....

But this is my I love them. So Cute. My YouTube is full of rabbits. I can't help myself.

https://youtu.be/mQfBHOsp00E

I LOVE this thread!!

It has been several months since my last check-in (re: my rabbitosis)

I have developed a new counting method to more accurately calculate my herd.... and according to that count I currently have 21 rabbits... still more than I started with in the garage..

I thought I had run out of space in the two horse stalls I rent for my rabbitry, but after shifting a few things up into the hay loft, I have a space for another 24x24 stacker 4 holes high... I also feel if I get rid of the two 30x30 rusted out cages, I could repace those with a new 24x30 stacker and add at least one more hole to the rabbitry there......

The new counting method?:
You do not count:
Young in the nest box (because that young they could die!)
Young under 6months (because I'm really not sure they are staying until they are bred or breeding)
sales rabbits (because they are leaving)
cull rabbits (because they are going to be eaten within the next 6-8 weeks)

That leaves your breeding animals and the occasional JR that "IS STAYING"... lol

Latest posts

Back