Neutralizing furs

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alforddm

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I've been reading through several different posts on tanning. Regarding neutralizing.

EZ-tan will bond best to the skin at a pH of 4 to 5, which is approximately the pH that your neutralizing bath should be.

Our well water has a ph of around 5.2. I should therefore be able to simply add the pelts to the water stirring and rinsing/adding more water as needed to get the correct ph right? Is there anything I'm not considering? <br /><br /> __________ Fri May 08, 2015 8:38 am __________ <br /><br /> So, I guess since no one replied I'll give this a try and see how it goes.

I didn't see it, or I would have replied!
Cheap packs of litmus strips are a necessity.

http://www.amazon.com/Packs-Paper-Litmu ... B008IBOG7G

You can tan without them, but you will save your self a lot of time, money, and materials to have them.
Especially if using citric acid for your pickle.
People are not joking when describing it as less stable than other commonly used pickling acids.

I just figured no one replied because they had never tried it. I'm sure not to many of you have water that is that acidic lol. Our soil is quite acidic as well. Lime is my friend :lol:

I have a digital PH meter for soap making so I'm GTG there.

After I posted the reply I decided I wouldn't try it this time anyway (Yes I do reserve the right to change my mind multiple times a day :lol: ) Since this is my first try at tanning anything, I wouldn't know if it was the way I neutralized or something else that I messed up. I do intend to try it eventually though.

alforddm":3qust60k said:
I just figured no one replied because they had never tried it. I'm sure not to many of you have water that is that acidic lol. Our soil is quite acidic as well. Lime is my friend :lol:

I have a digital PH meter for soap making so I'm GTG there.

After I posted the reply I decided I wouldn't try it this time anyway (Yes I do reserve the right to change my mind multiple times a day :lol: ) Since this is my first try at tanning anything, I wouldn't know if it was the way I neutralized or something else that I messed up. I do intend to try it eventually though.

So long as it gets to the right PH and you can monitor it, I don't see any problem with how you get there. :lol:

Make sure most of the salt is rinsed out of a skin after the tanning step and before oiling. Too much salt left in will make your pelt...well, salty. :) Drying to the skin, and such.

Latest posts

Back